Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Minecraft Installer

Beans

Re: Minecraft Installer

Make sure to download the installer from the video tutorial above becouse the script from this link is messed up

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The

Download Link:HERE

does not install Minecraft!!!!!

Please do not use this Bash script!!!!!!!!

The
    is broken. And this Bash script has a missing dependency. As Sun Java 6 is no longer found in the Ubuntu repositories. Minecraft runs on Sun Java 6 and recommends its use. Sun Java 6 has some security issues as it was replaced with Oracle Java 7. In Minecraft Oracle Java 7 works fine except you have to update LWJGL by hand.
    http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tu...s/Update_LWJGL

So if you want to use this bash script you will have to cut and past everything in the #!/bin/bash window scrolling all the way down, into a text editor and save it as Minecraft_Installer_20.sh and place it in your Download folder.

And you will need Sun Java 6. knowing the risk some of us are using this PPA that is outside the Ubuntu repositories.

http://superuser.com/questions/35398...u-11-10-oneric
    Last edited by regor210; March 27th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

People seem to be making this more complicated than it needs to be.

I have been running Minecraft in Linux since I think 1.8 beta in 64-bit 11.10 and subsequent snapshots and releases with no major problems using the default openjdk installed by ubuntu-restricted-extras. MC 1.2.3 had occasional freeze issues in SMP (survival multi-player), but people had those issues in Windows too using Sun Java. At least in Linux it eventually thaws, although, if it freezes too long you get disconnected from the server. I don't remember having that issue in MC 1.2.4 yet, which runs smoother even if it is so busy that rendering is delayed (especially jungles).

If you create a bin directory in your home directory, once you log out of X and log back in, that directory is in your $PATH. Then you can create a script in that bin called minecraft something like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # Change cd line to your path to orig minecraft.jar, NOT ~/.minecraft/bin
    cd ~/MC-client
    java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
    It does not matter which version minecraft.jar you use to launch it, just that it is a complete minecraft.jar with the launcher, not one from .minecraft/bin, nor a prerelease snapshot (which you have to put in .minecraft/bin).

Although if you have the RAM, 1.2 versions work better with -Xmx2G -Xms2G because when I use that I have sometimes seen it use more than 1 GB which would keep more in RAM instead of having to reload data.

Then for a Unity launcher in Dash search for "main menu" (which should come up after you type main) and add something to launch the minecraft script in a terminal. Once you launch it from Dash you can check Keep in launcher.

For an icon I use or for the server I use

I did update the lwjgl version in the .minecraft directory to 2.6, because the 2.4 version that comes in minecraft (which may be changed soon) occasionally results in stuck movement keys (or press same key in direction you are moving to unstick it). That requires replacing a bunch of files in different paths with the newer versions.

When a new version comes out and I want to be able to run both versions, I just copy the entire .minecraft directory with a number appended representing the version, for example I copied it to .minecraft-123 before updating minecraft to 1.2.4. Then to switch versions, I run this mineswitch script (modify MINEA and MINEB for new versions):

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

DIR="/home/efflandt"
    MINE=".minecraft"
    MINEA=".minecraft-123"
    MINEB=".minecraft-124"

cd $DIR
    ls -la |grep minecraft
    if [ -d "$MINEA" ]; then
     echo "** Switching to 1.2.3"
     mv $MINE $MINEB && mv $MINEA $MINE
    elif [ -d "$MINEB" ]; then
     echo "** Switching to 1.2.4"
     mv $MINE $MINEA && mv $MINEB $MINE
    fi
    As I mentioned earlier, the minecraft.jar you use for the launcher does not matter, because it will launch whatever is in an existing .minecraft directory.

And if you are looking for a *nix friendly place to play, check out http://sdf.lonestar.org/

They run NetBSD on their shell accounts, but I think their MC servers run on Ubuntu. They have 5 worlds on their main Bukkit server (currently running 1.2.3), another server running most recent vanilla version (currently 1.2.4 on a 1.1 world), and a development server for testing or fixing Bukkit plugins before updating the main server (currently running a 1.2.4 world).

I thought if I looked like one they might ignore me. Nah.

i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

I will be updating the shell script to use the OpenJDK-JRE-7 package as I found that is stable enough. I may also create a LWJGL updater script while I'm at it.

I'll post it on here soon, sorry for the wait guys

Beans

I am separating the Server install script and the Client install script in case someone hits the wrong number and accidentally chooses the wrong option. I am also rewriting the scripts from scratch (using the first as reference), should now detect any form of Java, OpenJDK or Java official, 5, 6, or 7.

I'm about 50% done with the client script, have yet to start on the server script

I'm also trying to get it to not require root access and install to your local user account.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for your hard work, it will be appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by regor210 View Post
    Thanks for your hard work, it will be appreciated.
    No problem. I have the installer code re-written, no longer uses a combination of local user files and global system files, it installs a menu item to /usr/share/applications/mojang-Minecraft.desktop (how it should be), and I am done writing the installer portion. Now I just have to write the uninstaller portion and modify it to install Minecraft Server (maybe even bukkit )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alfonsojon View Post
    No problem. I have the installer code re-written, no longer uses a combination of local user files and global system files, it installs a menu item to /usr/share/applications/mojang-Minecraft.desktop (how it should be), and I am done writing the installer portion. Now I just have to write the uninstaller portion and modify it to install Minecraft Server (maybe even bukkit )
    Forgot to mention I'll try to package it up as a .deb when I learn how and submit it to Mojang
    EDIT: Scratch local user only, that can be a minor hazard when it comes to accidentally deleting things so I made it go where any other program would go - /usr/local/bin for the "minecraft" shell script (to type minecraft in the terminal to launch it) and /usr/share/applications/ for the launcher icon. Hopefully I release it in the next few hours, I'm sure it could be useful to many
    Last edited by alfonsojon; April 1st, 2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Added reasoning

Beans

And the moment you've all been waiting for - The client installer!
    I tested this at least 20 times and I am 100% confident it works on any Debian-based OS (including Ubuntu ).

You can download it here:
    www.live-craft.com/mifu (Minecraft installer for Ubuntu)

I hope you guys like it (and if you can, donate once I get a Paypal tomorrow)

I'll be busy rewriting the server install portion to support Bukkit, the default server software, and maybe MCForge for those who want to go classic

Enjoy!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by regor210 View Post
    The

does not install Minecraft!!!!!

Please do not use this Bash script!!!!!!!!

The
    is broken. And this Bash script has a missing dependency. As Sun Java 6 is no longer found in the Ubuntu repositories. Minecraft runs on Sun Java 6 and recommends its use. Sun Java 6 has some security issues as it was replaced with Oracle Java 7. In Minecraft Oracle Java 7 works fine except you have to update LWJGL by hand.
    http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tu...s/Update_LWJGL

So if you want to use this bash script you will have to cut and past everything in the #!/bin/bash window scrolling all the way down, into a text editor and save it as Minecraft_Installer_20.sh and place it in your Download folder.

And you will need Sun Java 6. knowing the risk some of us are using this PPA that is outside the Ubuntu repositories.

http://superuser.com/questions/35398...u-11-10-oneric
    This is fixed in my updated version of the Minecraft installer. I don't want to force it upon anybody, but I highly recommend using mine rather than the version that was originally made about a year ago.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast