Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphics issues with NVIDIA NVS 4200m

Beans

Graphics issues with NVIDIA NVS 4200m

Forgive me if this is the wrong place, but I'm having some issues getting Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 64-bit working on my new Dell Latitude E6520. It has the NVIDIA NVS 4200m graphics card. I am able to get it booted and working, but it must be using a default driver, since all the graphics are very slow even with all settings on minimum.

There is nothing listed in the "Install Proprietary Drivers" list. From what I can find on the NVIDIA Website, it's not supported yet. Does anyone know if there are plans to support it or if there is a way I can get them working at a decent level without the proprietary drivers?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Graphics issues with NVIDIA NVS 4200m

Looks like support for that GPU was added in 270.41.03. You can get the latest version of the nVidia drivers from this PPA:
    http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/ubu...?dist=maverick

beew is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

From the specs here the Dell Latitude E6520 is Optimus enabled.
    http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e6520/pd

In that case unless you have a BIOS option to disable Optimus.--I don't think the Dell offers that,-- you won't be able to use the Nvidia card in Linux even if the card is "supported". We are seeing more and more these days as most new laptops with Nvidia are Optimus enabled. This means Nvidia has effectively stopped supporting Linux laptops even though the cards may be "supported" by Nvidia drivers. But worse, even though you cannot use the Nvidia card that you paid for (stuck with the crappy Intel card) , the nvidia card would still eat your battery and generate heat.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=144750

Better return your computer if you still can. Otherwise the least undesirable outcome out of all horrible alternatives would probably be to turn off the Nvidia card (so that it becomes a paperweight instead of sucking system resources)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=optimus

Please add your voice here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1712278

I don't expect Nvidia to support gpu switching for Linux, but it is ridiculous that Linux users wouldn't be able to use the Nvidia cards at all,-- the cards that they pay for, and Nvidia supports with Linux drivers.

Maybe you would also want to write to Dell asking it to provide the BIOS switch to disable Optimus.

Beans

Good news! Looks like dell is putting the option to disable Optimus in the bios of their new laptops. The option said something like "Note, Optimus is only applicable for Windows, it should be disabled for all other OSes". Hopefully this means that they are going to be more supportive towards *nix in the future.

I'm really glad to see that the new NVIDIA drivers support the NVS 4200m. I'll give them a go when I get home from work tonight and post back with how it went.

beew is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ethomp View Post
    Good news! Looks like dell is putting the option to disable Optimus in the bios of their new laptops. The option said something like "Note, Optimus is only applicable for Windows, it should be disabled for all other OSes". Hopefully this means that they are going to be more supportive towards *nix in the future.

If this is true that would be a great news. Do you have any source you can link me to?

Beans

Hi

Same problem as you Guys, Dell Latitude E6520, Nvidia and Intel, Ubuntu 10.10

before I disabled Optimus in the BIOS
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1056 (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

after I disabled optimus in the BIOS
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1056 (rev a1)

Then I thought lets configure NVidia drivers, so installed the latest from

Quote Originally Posted by johnalewis View Post
    Looks like support for that GPU was added in 270.41.03. You can get the latest version of the nVidia drivers from this PPA:
    http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/ubu...?dist=maverick
    Configured the nvidia and it all works.

Thanks for the help chaps, all sorted now and working with nvidia-settings and dual screen with Dell 23" both running HD/1080P.
    Last edited by nodroglinux; April 14th, 2011 at 12:20 PM.

Beans

It worked! All I had to do after disabling Optimus was install nvidia-current. Thanks for all the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    If this is true that would be a great news. Do you have any source you can link me to?
    I can't find a source, but here's a picture of my bios setup screen:

Beans

Hi again,

Well having got the graphics working great with the Nvidia card, sound was now an issue.
    Spent ages looking around and then followed instructions on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/Instal...aDriverModules

After much messing about.....to no avail I got sound at reboot and nothing else.

Disabled Nvidia sound card in "System > Preferences > Sound" Hardware tab and enabled built in internal sound and all burst into life, so graphics and sound just my "reboot" to sort out now and then I will have a working version of a Dell Latitude E6520 with 10.10.

cheers

Beans

Haha thanks man, I spent last night struggling with the sound and then I woke up to this. I'll try what you did.

When you say sort out your "reboot", what do you mean? When I reboot all I get is the shutdown messages and then it halts there and I need to shut it down by using the power button. Is yours doing that?

Beans

When I reboot it goes down but then just displays the "splash" screen and does not attempt to come back up, working on this now.

I got SD card and camera working OK, skype OK but now no mic....another to sort out.

Messages says
    [ 8158.434656] Restarting system....

and then nothing happens....

Mic working now......can use skype and others.....

reboot left.....
    Last edited by nodroglinux; April 15th, 2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: update

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast