Thread: Dual boot GRUB2 problem

Beans

Dual boot GRUB2 problem

I have a Win7 laptop and I installed Kubuntu 12.04 on it a few months ago and it was dual booting using GRUB2 and everything was working fine.
    What I didn't like was on power-on it would default to Kubuntu after 10 seconds. I want it to wait forever for me to choose the operating system.
    I downloaded the GRUB Customizer GUI program and did 2 things; moved Win7 to the default boot position instead of Kubuntu and I changed the TIMEOUT to -1. I thought -1 meant that the boot menu would wait forever until I chose the operating system.
    However after making the changes, when I power on the laptop there is no GRUB2 boot menu anymore and it immediately boots to Win7 and doesn't give me the chance to load Kubuntu.
    I can't figure out how to get back into Kubuntu.
    Does anyone know what I did wrong, and how I can fix this?

Beans

Re: Dual boot GRUB2 problem

Download a program called easyBCD. When it installs, select the add new entry option. Go to the linux tab and select the appropriate settings. Make sure to save. Then go to the edit boot menu. There is where you will select teh default OS, the timeout options, and etc. Again, make sure to save

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by highrun View Post
    Download a program called easyBCD. When it installs, select the add new entry option. Go to the linux tab and select the appropriate settings. Make sure to save. Then go to the edit boot menu. There is where you will select teh default OS, the timeout options, and etc. Again, make sure to save
    That's a windows program and works only with windows bootloader, not grub.

You can use the kubuntu cd to load the live session, then open the kubuntu partition on the hdd and find the file /etc/default/grub.

In there there will be a line like GRUB_TIMEOUT=-1. Make the value 30 for example. That means 30 seconds.

I really can't imagine why you want it to wait indefinitely. Not sure if putting 0 means indefinitely. I think 30 seconds are more than plenty. But putting it at 30 will at least allow you to see the grub menu to boot kubuntu.

Later you can investigate how to make grub2 wait indefinitely, and if it's possible at all.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry, I got slightly confused. Cahnging the value only in /etc/default/grub will not help immediately even though that is where you need to change it.

You will also have to update the /boot/grub/grub.cfg but it might be better to temporarily change it from the live session. In there should be the GRUB_TIMEOUT value too. Set it at 30 so that it allows you to boot to kubuntu once, and then adjust the value either directly in /etc/default/grub or using Grub Customizer again.

After you adjust it, make sure you run:
    sudo update-grub

to recreate new grub.cfg.
    Darko.

Beans

After I make changes in GRUB Customizer I have to type "sudo update-grub"?
    I didn't do that last time, maybe that has something to do with the problem I'm having now...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not sure, I change it directly in the config files. It's more clean that way.

I would expect Grub Customizer to save the changes but I'm not sure. Anyway it doesn't hurt running update-grub.
    Darko.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, you want to run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    after changing grub parameters. Running it will generate a new "grub.cfg" file which is the file read @ startup. Watching it generate the file can also be a learning experience, as you see it finding all bootable partitions and creating a menu line for each,

good luck

Example:

das@acer-netbook:~$ sudo update-grub
    [sudo] password for das:
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-35-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-35-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-34-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-23-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    Found Windows Recovery Environment (loader) on /dev/sda1
    Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda2
    done
    das@acer-netbook:~$
    Last edited by Hakunka-Matata; January 6th, 2013 at 02:33 AM.
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning