Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HOW-TO : Ubuntu + Wine + Garena + WarCraft 3 TFT

Beans

Re: HOW-TO : Ubuntu + Wine + Garena + WarCraft 3 TFT

Quote Originally Posted by bmx666 View Post
    run it with root user.my Q: after garena start, when click on my friends or setting , garena close!!what can i do now?
    Hell i'm having the same problem
    everytime that i want to see settings garena closes

Beans

Re: HOW-TO : Ubuntu + Wine + Garena + WarCraft 3 TFT

Well, to put it gently - Garena doesn't work under Ubuntu anymore since year and a half back (more precisely 12.04). I wasn't able to particularly pinpoint the problem but WineHQ forums suggested incompatibility with latest openssl package. Oh, here comes the fun part - the old one is still in repos but you can't remove 1.0 since everything there is depends on this one and installing 0.98 (as I remember this was the version - too lazy to open Synaptic right now) won't do anything for Wine and particularly the connection problem Garena faces. And yeah, don't install it under XP simulation. It won't open at all.
    The only thing Garena can do right now is to only log-in and chat with your friends. The rooms window is COMPLETELY unavailable. If you click LAN Garena friezes for a few seconds and then nothing happens after it unfreezes. I also tried force starting the Room.exe but it authenticates me with the server forever. AND further more any error that Garena throws at you is kinda generic and doesn't actually stop it operating in any way. I've investigated almost all of them for days. Nothing budges at all. So Garena+Ubuntu (and few other OSes too) is a no-go.
    In conclusion I must say that I presume that having older systems that don't change their base (like 2010-2011 portable Linux - e.g. Puppy Lucid) COULD do the trick but then you'd have to dualboot just to play a game which is almost equal to having your old 'doze around for the same purpose (if we don't take into account that Puppy is actually about 200 megs and doesn't need partitioning of you hard drive, which is good for me because I only have 160GB, and it loads faster). You could always use virtual machine but I must warn you that they are slower than Wine's performance and can't actually use (fully) enhanced OpenGL graphics card (if this wasn't already obvious).

All may have a good day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123