Thread: Recommend book for C++ and/or OpenGL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Recommend book for C++ and/or OpenGL

I am interested in learning C++ and OpenGL. Any recommendation is welcome.

I am familiar with C and Lua. I have no much experience(about zero) with OOP although I know some of the theory. So which book would you recommend? Would prefer a rather small book as if the book is 500+ pages then it's quite sure that the size of the book will discourge me in reading it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Recommend book for C++ and/or OpenGL

My favorite c++ book for teaching is "Thinking In c++" Volume 1&2 - pdf copies should be available for free on the web.

More than 500 pages I'm afraid, but the books are divided into chapters and make it easy to study the topic(s) of interest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For both those you might want to have a look at the GameDev.net book series, they are fairly easy to understand and try to put most of the things you learn in a context instead of just saying, "This is an int" and not explaining how or why ^^

They are generally pointed towards game development but it's a good a way as any to start I think since you often get a visible result with game and it makes the process easier (at least it did for me), when you got that down more advanced theory books actually makes sense. ;D

Beginning OpenGL game programming is really good at giving you a broad idea about how things work etc and it's fairly up to date compared to many others and is a good starting point. It's just under 300 pages and does a good job covering the basics, after that you might want to look at Addison Wesley OpenGL ES 2.0.Programming Guide, I know its OpenGL ES but it's more or less the exact same thing only they removed some stuff, after learning that the step to for ex. OpenGL 4+ should be fairly easy as OpenGL ES 2.0 is a subset of OpenGL only more streamlined.

Also for OOP you should check out these videos

Standford University - Programming Methodology
    It's a full set of the standford lectures thats really easy to follow, it's a real intro course from nothing to fairly advanced understanding, they use Java which is OOP and the knowledge is easy to move to any OOP, also their follow course with C++ is a good follow up.

Also looking at the free part of 3D Buzz Introduction to C++, they also build a simple game but goes through how to use objects etc and it's fairly funny

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrat View Post

Beginning OpenGL game programming

A good recommendation. The second edition (by Luke Benstead) has been out a while and it is still up to date. That's the size book you are looking for.