Thread: Not empty USB Stick

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Not empty USB Stick

Hi, everyone. I have a microSD memory card (2GB) and a card reader. My problem is that when formatted, the card only has about 1,800MB (1.8GB) and the manual says that to be able to make a bootable USB stick, I need at least 2GB. Another problem is that my card reader, when reading the card, automatically makes its own folders (like \AUDIO, \VIDEO, \PICTURES\DCIM, and other folders when they don't exist. That, I don't really want. It wasn't wrong before, as I can put my files on the premade folders, but as I was going to put OS-related files in there, would it interfere if the folders wrer created while the microSD contains the bootable OS? And the ~1.8GB memory left when formatted, is it enough?

Thank you VERY much! I'm gonna install Ubuntu next year when I get my own computer (I use internet cafes to post messages here) and want it to be smooth as silk. Thanks again!
    Last edited by tarshoduze; April 11th, 2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: corrected "\VIREO" to "\VIDEO". Sorry! Typo...

Beans
    Distro

Re: Not empty USB Stick

Uhmmm... please? I really need to know this...

Beans
    Distro

God. just watching a Compiz Fusion demo on YouTube makes me wanna have my computer right now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'd have to recommend giving this a shot. Worked for me. No idea how to deal with your mystery folders, though.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just get a bigger USB stick? or try a Live CD, the USB is better I feel because you can also store files and such. I can't give you too much advice though so I'm sorry, I don't have any experience in card readers - but I'd image you could stop it creating its own folders in the settings somewhere
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for