Thread: Apache virtual hosting on HTTPS

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Apache virtual hosting on HTTPS

Hi,

I am trying to get name based virtual hosts all running on HTTPS (port 443) so I can run multiple sites on the one IP.

The DocumentRoot needs to be different for each host.

E.g.
    https://wiki.mydomain.com /var/www/wiki
    https://forum.mydomain.com /var/www/forum
    https://www.mydomain.com /var/www/web

However, I am unable to find where to actually enable these hosts in the configs. The apache website says to put it in httpd.conf however that file is empty on my machine.

The existing default virtual hosts are in "/etc/apache2/sites-available/default" and "default-ssl"

The main config file is /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

I am running version 2.2.16 of apache

I need to use the same .htpasswd file for all the sites.

I have configured CNAMES on my domain for all of these hosts.

Could someone please assist me. Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Brothers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Apache virtual hosting on HTTPS

It isn't critical where you would put them but usually you would create a file for this domain in site-available and put all it's config in that file. Then link it to sites-enabled to be active.

You will need a wildcard certificate if you want to serve mutliple sub-domains on one IP. Since the SSL connection is encrypted Apache is not able to determine the virtual host name until after it has been decrypted - hence, ssl only supports one certificate per IP. There are workarounds but they aren't universally supported.

Generally for subdomains like this it's prefereable to use A records rather than CNAME records.

Beans
    Distro

I tried creating a new file in sites-available called "wiki" and then adding

Code:
    NameVirtualHost *:443

<VirtualHost *:443>
        ServerName wiki.mydomain.com
        DocumentRoot /var/www/wiki
    </VirtualHost>
    Then I enabled the site using:
    Code:
    sudo a2ensite wiki
    I then restarted the server which gave me an error that it failed to restart.

On the DNS aspect, I need to use CNAMEs because I have a dynamic IP, so I run it through DynDNS which gives me a hostname for my IP, my router changes automatically to change the DynDNS records and update the IP.

How might I go about this through a non-standard port or just port 80?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Need to check the error.log for the exact reason it wouldn't start. It's likely some ssl issue.

I think you're going to need to specify the IP in the VirtualHost statement.

To use a non-standard port you simply change 443 to the desired port. Then to access the page you append the port, eg. wiki.mydomain.com:1443

You are missing the required ssl certificate lines inside the VirtualHost section as well.

SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile /path/to/server.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /path/to/server.key

Presumably you have already created a server key, and csr to create/get a certificate? If not then backup a few steps and do that first.
    Last edited by BkkBonanza; April 11th, 2011 at 08:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Here is the part of the error log that contains the error:
    Code:
    [Mon Apr 11 17:28:59 2011] [info] removed PID file /var/run/apache2.pid (pid=25177)
    [Mon Apr 11 17:28:59 2011] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
    [Mon Apr 11 17:29:00 2011] [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has no certificate configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile] ((null):0)
    I'll try adding the other necessary directives in the VirtualHost statement.