Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on GNOME 3 from those who've tried it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Opinions on GNOME 3 from those who've tried it

I am totally won over by GNOME3 so far. It has turned out much better than I hoped. There are still some areas where it needs polish and it sorely lacks certain functionality and integration but the foundation is very nice.

Only sad bit is that it does not run on my ARM netbook on account of the.. well complete lack of capable video drivers. It kinda makes me feel all 90's nostalgic, ****** hardware and missing drivers.. ah how you kids complain today.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just a general question: I've really grown to love Emerald.

I've finally squeezed out every last inch of vertical space on my laptop. My understanding is that Emerald won't work on Gnome 3? - because G3 doesn't use compiz?
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; April 12th, 2011 at 01:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I absolutely love it. I see a huge potential for usability and growth after looking at this release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Just a general question: I've really grown to love Emerald.

I've finally squeezed out every last inch of vertical space on my laptop. My understanding is that Emerald won't work on Gnome 3? - because G3 doesn't use compiz?
    lol if you value vertical space at all gnome 3 may not be for you.

There's almost more padding than actual window content.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It looks nice, but I find it very irritating to use. I came to Linux to be able to customize my experience, but the only thing I can change in Gnome 3 is the wallpaper. I have no interest in using this is my DE.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Moved. GNOME 3 has become a recurring discussion.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    lol if you value vertical space at all gnome 3 may not be for you.

There's almost more padding than actual window content.

Yeah... I just now downloaded and tried out the Gnome3 Live CD. You're right. What a waste of space. In terms of laptops, netbooks, and vertical screen real-estate, Gnome3 is a giant step backwards. Who needs that slick, glitzy presentation? All I want to do is access my software. I don't want my WM to be a prima donna! It's why I don't like KDE. I want it simple. Simple. Simple.

Well... let the Gnome crew throw their big party and congratulate themselves. I predict they'll lose a massive share of users to Unity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Currently my favourite desktop UI. I switched to Fedora just to use it despite my overall preference for Ubuntu. I might write a comparison between Shell and Unity when I have the time as its a fascinating issue.
    Why not use G3 in ubuntu? I'm using it in 11.04. I installed it on top of xubuntu no problems using the ppa.

Beans

The only problem I really have is that the shell looks a bit odd on low res in the overview mode. Screenspace (even on 800x600) is not really a bother, but I suppose maximizing it could be a goal.

Beans
    Distro

I don't want my WM to be a prima donna! It's why I don't like KDE. I want it simple. Simple. Simple.
    Who's stopping you from using something else? KDE isn't my cup of tea either, but I don't complain about it, I just use something else.

Well... let the Gnome crew throw their big party and congratulate themselves. I predict they'll lose a massive share of users to Unity.
    The G3 devs should pat themselves on the back. They have done a good job with it, and this is only the beginning of things to come. And since Unity is only going to be used in ubuntu for the foreseeable future, G3 will flourish as it becomes the default DE for all the other distros that ship with gnome.

But really, who cares? You and I both will just continue to use what works for us. There is no "better" DE, just what's best for the individual.

Why do people continuously come around with these- "my way of doing things is the best way" type posts? (not aimed at any one person)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast