KDE and Unity (I was testing both as I was worried about the future of Gnome 3) were just removed from both of my computers. I am running Gnome 3 with Gnome Tweak on both systems (Ubuntu and Fedora) and I am loving it. I was worried that I would have to part ways with Gnome, not anymore.
I haven't tried Unity yet, and I will do when Natty's finished, but so far it's a very convincing score one to Gnome 3 and Shell for me. I've really enjoyed the live disc, and well it was just fun to use. Now I want more!
AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb
here i am posting my observations after i compliled it on my 10.10 from git.
1) can we change panel properties ? like making it transparent or changing panel background to match with the desktop wallpaper ?
2) top right button that shows the username, when i click on that, and my accounts, it says i have to install some program for adding accounts (y the accounts that are configured in prev version not showing up here?
3) i use awn in bottom center. whenever i fire up gnome-session the dock goes into hiding in bottom right corner and i have to quit and restart to bring it back in position. any tweak or solution for this ?
4) global menu applet thats on my gnome-panel (default), can i make it show up on g3 panel ? if so then there should be repositioning adjustments for clock... is that possible ?
5) top right button shows a system settings option. it looks similar to the mac os x style of system settings.... havent tried it yet but the feel is there.
apart from the first observation as listed above, the look, feel and performance has not hampered my working till now. as someone said earlier in this thread, its a learning curve and we hope for the better and upgrades in future... (updating our knowledge in the process)
Ubuntu + Linux = UbunTux !!! Gr8 combo !!!