Thread: Debian/Ubuntu repos more stable than RPM/openSUSE repos

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Debian/Ubuntu repos more stable than RPM/openSUSE repos

Hi,

Besides Maverick I am presently using openSUSE 11.4. Because Ubuntu was the only Linux distro I had ever tried I wanted to install something other than Ubuntu/Debian to see how it performs. While Ubuntu stays as a static choice I plan to keep on trying different Linux distros.

There are two differences that I have noticed between Ubuntu & openSUSE.

The first is that the Ubuntu repos are much bigger is size in comparison to openSUSE's repos. I can't find many apps in openSUSE's repos that I used to use in Ubuntu.

Secondly, every other day a message pops out saying "security signature not present". After writing about it in their distribution forum I get the answer that the repos the presently experiencing trouble.
    I must say that Ubuntu is much superior than openSUSE in this area.

Leaving these two issues I don't see any major difference between the two.

Guys who are presently using openSUSE or some other rpm base distro, please share your opinion.
    Last edited by linuxyogi; April 10th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Debian/Ubuntu repos more stable than RPM/openSUSE repos

a lot of changes are going on with the repos, soon they should have them sorted.

some repos have been broken down into several different sources, this way sources load faster.

i'm sure in due time all will be well.

now, all the apps i used in kubuntu, i have found in opensuse, you may just need to add additional sources in yast, the sources are listed, just not enabled, you must enable them after you decide what source has the stuff you need.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    a lot of changes are going on with the repos, soon they should have them sorted.

some repos have been broken down into several different sources, this way sources load faster.

i'm sure in due time all will be well.
    Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    now, all the apps i used in kubuntu, i have found in opensuse, you may just need to add additional sources in yast, the sources are listed, just not enabled, you must enable them after you decide what source has the stuff you need.
    Which version of openSUSE are you using?

I am using 11.4 & I can't find Winff(ffmpeg frontend).

As you know that openSUSE has an option which lets you seacrh & install packages from a web interface ( 1 Click Install) http://software.opensuse.org/search.

I searched Winff there are well but can't find it. Then I found a thread at their distribution forum where a guy has the same problem. He has been told that Winff is not yet available for 11.4.

Some other apps which I cant find in openSUSE includes pysdm, alltray

Oss, Non-Oss, Update, Packman

These are repos presently enabled at my end.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!

I've never experienced any problem with RPM while using Fedora.

I actually prefer it because in my opinion RPM is a much simpler standard and delta packages are really handy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

yes, i see what you mean, i don't know why it isn't in there, it's a pretty basic app.

i think this sort of problem is a cross distribution issue, for example, handbrake is in those repos, for ubuntu we have to go to handbrakes site and use the svn version, which i hated.

but yes, i understand now

btw using 11.4 w- kde4.6