I am running Ubuntu 10.04 on a laptop and a desktop computer. When I try to play CD's which include windows media files on them, I have no problems. When I try to play DVD's that have windows media files on them, I cannot open the disk and I am unable to play the files. On two different Windows 7 desktops, I can play the DVD with windows media files without any problems. This leads me to believe there is something wrong with Linux that I need to address.

FYI: I can play DVD's that I have bought from a store without any problems. To demonstrate this fact, I just watched an episode of Simpsons on DVD without any problems.

Also, when I run the bench mark feature within the disk utility application, I receive the following message when the DVD in question is inserted into the DVD player:

"Error benchmarking: helper exited with exit code 1: Device /dev/sr0 is too slow to benchmark"

This occurs on both the Ubuntu laptop and Ubuntu Desktop, again even though I can play these files just fine on both Windows 7 desktops.

Finally, I still consider myself somewhat of a "new" Linux user, so any information you need me to go gather - please let me know the exact code to type into terminal so that I can make sure I provide you with the correct answers.

Thank you very much in advance, this means a lot.