Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

How to install?

i have one question.i know it`s impossible to upgrade from ubuntu to debian.
    so i was wandering...when installing,debian,do i need all dvd installers ?or it`s ok to have just first and after that i can finish the instalation from the internet?
    Or it`s ok if i use only first CD?
    i have internet by router.Thanks
    Or to install from a 3.7 gb usb flash?
    Last edited by Artificial Intelligence; April 9th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Debian install.

If you have a good internet connection and unrestricted bandwidth, you can do a Debian Net Install. It lets you pick and choose only the software you really want, avoiding alot of the cruft that most distros add in an effort to "be all things to all users."

Without a good internet connection, you'll want to use the DVDs and install from them.

I have done a few 'net installs and spent hours every day for weeks trying to make everything work! Wireless, display, sound, printing were all problematic and frustrating. And I'm just not that geeky (and the Debian forums don't like kids).

I stuck with it, did abuncha trial and error and finally ended up with an almost perfect Debian/Xfce mixture! But y'know what surprised me? My "perfect mixture" was very little different from Xubuntu! I mean omygosh, I had done all that work only to end up with what I already had in Xubuntu!

It was a good learning experience though, and it's good if "your inner geek" needs to come out and play! But for us non-geeky kids, it's nice to have all that work already done.

Debian is awesome, by the way! Super fast, rock-stable (if you choose Stable), and reliable. There's no better base to build from, and Canonical is wise to build Ubuntu on such an awesome foundation.

-Robin

Beans

If you have a good internet connection and unrestricted bandwidth and if you have kernel loader like grub2, grub legacy, grub4dos, lilo, or syslinux and so forth, you need only kernel and initramfs to start installation.

For example, for i386,
    <kernel>
    ftp://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Debi...ler/i386/linux
    <initramfs>
    ftp://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Debi...i386/initrd.gz
    OpenBox: Debian Wheezy, Sid, Snowlinux, Aptosid, Siduction, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, Mint, ZorinOS, OS4, Arch, Manjaro, Mageia, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Slackware, Win XP/7
    http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try out Linux Mint Debian Its a very good distro been using it for a few months and really like it alot!
    This is Linux. It gives you a cute mascot and enough rope to hang yourself!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kiyop View Post
    If you have a good internet connection and unrestricted bandwidth and if you have kernel loader like grub2, grub legacy, grub4dos, lilo, or syslinux and so forth, you need only kernel and initramfs to start installation.

For example, for i386,
    <kernel>
    ftp://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Debi...ler/i386/linux
    <initramfs>
    ftp://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Debi...i386/initrd.gz
    That seems a bit overly complicated when the netinstall ISO is only around 150MB.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Yes. It is a little difficult for newbie.
    But, you know, the total size of "linux" and "initrd.gz" is less than 9MB and it takes shorter time to download them than to download the netinstall iso.
    Furthermore, with linux and initrd.gz, CD-R is not necessary if some linux distribution is installed in internal HDD.

noxified may have internal HDD with grub2 and ubuntu installed.
    Last edited by kiyop; April 9th, 2011 at 05:40 PM.
    OpenBox: Debian Wheezy, Sid, Snowlinux, Aptosid, Siduction, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, Mint, ZorinOS, OS4, Arch, Manjaro, Mageia, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Slackware, Win XP/7
    http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: How to install?

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro

I have a good internet connection(6 mb/s ,real download speed)so it shouldn`t take too much time..But i wanna install it from my hdd.(other hdd)
    I have a hdd with ubuntu installed(wich i`m using right now)
    and i wanna install debian,not for anything specific.Just to find my "love"linux.
    Almost everyone have a linux ,that is in love with it.I just wanna find mine.Kidding.
    I wanna install ubuntu just for experimenting and stuff.I use PC for multimedia and internet only.So ubuntu it`s enough for me..But i wanna experiment.
    There`s any way to put debian preinstalled to another hdd(i have 2 hdd`s)?I mean ,like i`d move ubuntu to another hdd,it would work.Same thing with debian?or could i put installer there?(everything partitioned before,so i wouldn`t be needed to delete install files) and i`ll delete them after install it`s finished.

Beans
    Distro

anyone?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just to find my "love"linux.
    If you want to look about at different distro's rather than keep installing things to hdd's have you thought about doing it with a virtual machine?

There`s any way to put debian preinstalled to another hdd(i have 2 hdd`s)?I mean ,like i`d move ubuntu to another hdd,it would work.Same thing with debian?or could i put installer there?(everything partitioned before,so i wouldn`t be needed to delete install files) and i`ll delete them after install it`s finished.
    Not completely sure what you mean here, but if you mean install it to a hdd somewhere else then plug it in I'd not think that would save you anything.

Whether you can do so now or not I'm not sure but I have in the past had an iso added to grub2 custom file so I could pick it from boot - and thus start the install from the ubuntu grub2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast