Thread: Tablets

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Tablets

I know this is not a android forum, but anyways here goes.
    I have been looking at a tablet pc, for being able to surf the web, homework, work related stuff and being better to programming. Im annoyed by wasting time with public transportation where i just look out the window.

Ive been looking at the Acer ICONIA Tab A500 - 32 GB. But im in doubts.

Does the android platform have, the terminal that we know from ubuntu? for being able to connect to servers and such over the web. The machine only have 1GB ddr2 ram, is this enough? im afraid of choppy graphics when using the multi-touch display or slow reaction times.

The tablet does not have a 3G connection built into it, but i thought about connecting it to my android phone over usb for web access.

Also anyone know what android users do about creating documents? do they use libre office or something?

Thanks all on advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Tablets

I suppose Google Docs would work alright on an android tablet for creating documents or presentations, and I think there's a terminal application on the Android Market.

-Rich

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Drenriza View Post
    I know this is not a android forum, but anyways here goes.
    I have been looking at a tablet pc, for being able to surf the web, homework, work related stuff and being better to programming. Im annoyed by wasting time with public transportation where i just look out the window.
    play angry birds on your phone or read a book

Ive been looking at the Acer ICONIA Tab A500 - 32 GB. But im in doubts.
    acer make horrible products
    Does the android platform have, the terminal that we know from ubuntu? for being able to connect to servers and such over the web. The machine only have 1GB ddr2 ram, is this enough? im afraid of choppy graphics when using the multi-touch display or slow reaction times.
    yes, but you need to root. and tegra2 solves media issues.

The tablet does not have a 3G connection built into it, but i thought about connecting it to my android phone over usb for web access.
    you might need to root your phone
    Also anyone know what android users do about creating documents? do they use libre office or something?
    documents to go... but its isnt worth it. tablets are horrible for extended note taking beyond making simple lists.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    tablets are horrible for extended note taking beyond making simple lists.
    Some third-party mobile accessory makers may make stylus devices for large tablets soon. Droid X has a stylus. Not sure how well it performs though. It's a known fact that simple plastic cannot be used to make stylus devices for tablets, as the screen needs friction comparable to a human finger to work. This would help with note-taking, if you really needed it.

I'm fine with a really cheap energy star netbook, notebook.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Android is nice, the tablet your talking about uses version 3.0, so the apps are still being ported over.
    It comes with a office suite.
    It has more than enough power, i currently use a coby mid7015, 800mhz 256mb ram & it plays media better than my ubuntu nettop with an 1.6ghz atom cpu & 2gb ram.

I'm torn between that or the playbook, its going to be hard for me to set that kind of money aside.
    Last edited by kerry_s; April 9th, 2011 at 04:42 PM.

Beans

There's already vids on youtube if you want to see it in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...00+tablet&aq=1

also i handle file sharing through my file manager, in ubuntu you just right click on the folder you want to share, in android i just scan for the smb server. it's very easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kerry_s; April 9th, 2011 at 04:46 PM.