Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying Gnome Shell on Ubuntu 10.04/10.10

Beans

Re: Trying Gnome Shell on Ubuntu 10.04/10.10

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoo View Post
    I have heard that Ubuntu us not playing well with Gnome 3 now, if you want to get a good Idea you might want to use Fedora. Thats what I am running right now and it looks pretty good.
    Agreed. Fedora 15 is very stable for me right now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Yes I have been hearing good things about Gnome3 in 11.04, but not so in 10.04 and 10.10 because of the repositories being for 11.04. This is causing problem in these versions.
    Too bad. I really like Gnome Shell, but I want to stick to LTS (10.04) for my work machine. I would like to have Gnome 3 Shell but not compromise the stability of my machine, which non-LTS releases have proven to do again and again.
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Redsandro View Post
    Too bad. I really like Gnome Shell, but I want to stick to LTS (10.04) for my work machine. I would like to have Gnome 3 Shell but not compromise the stability of my machine, which non-LTS releases have proven to do again and again.
    Same situation here. I've been contemplating going over to Fedora 15, but I'd rather stick with Ubuntu 10.04 because I don't feel like setting up my OS these days.

I'm probably just going to backup everything, install gnome-shell on 10.04 and see how that goes. If it all goes to hell, then I'll think about whether I'll restore the backup or move to Fed 15.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by achilleas.k View Post
    Same situation here. I've been contemplating going over to Fedora 15, but I'd rather stick with Ubuntu 10.04 because I don't feel like setting up my OS these days.

I'm probably just going to backup everything, install gnome-shell on 10.04 and see how that goes. If it all goes to hell, then I'll think about whether I'll restore the backup or move to Fed 15.

I'll let you know how that goes.
    if you just want some change, try docky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Redsandro View Post
    I don't know what you use for a work machine, but what I do with mine is keep two hard drive and use one for testing and if I get everything working the way I want, I just stick with it. Works for me.

By the way I am back to 11.04 with Unity. I have done so customizing and I am getting to like it.

What I am waiting for now is 11.10 to see if it come with Unity and or Gnome 3. I think it is only a matter of time that someone will come along with Ubuntu running Gnome 3 as the DE. and hopefully all the bug will be minimized.

Also, who know maybe Ubuntu will be released with a polish up Unity. Only time will tell. One thing in closing, I do not plan to leave Ubuntu as my distro of choice.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know what you use for a work machine, but what I do with mine is keep two hard drive and use one for testing and if I get everything working the way I want, I just stick with it. Works for me.

By the way I am back to 11.04 with Unity. I have done so customizing and I am getting to like it.

What I am waiting for now is 11.10 to see if it come with Unity and or Gnome 3. I think it is only a matter of time that someone will come along with Ubuntu running Gnome 3 as the DE. and hopefully all the bug will be minimized.

Also, who know maybe Ubuntu will be released with a polish up Unity. Only time will tell. One thing in closing, I do not plan to leave Ubuntu as my distro of choice.
    Unity IS Gnome3

Beans
    Distro

Bingo. I always have 3 drives, and everything backed up twice. Then I have fun installing stuff.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatan View Post
    Unity IS Gnome3
    Huh?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    Huh?
    Meh, I mean that Ubuntu will anyway come with Gnome3 and Unity interface. Gnome3 is not an interface.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatan View Post
    Meh, I mean that Ubuntu will anyway come with Gnome3 and Unity interface. Gnome3 is not an interface.
    Wow. it's amazing how we all see things differently.
    Last edited by wolfen69; May 27th, 2011 at 06:36 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast