Thread: how to extract files from archive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

how to extract files from archive

I guess it's because I'm unfamiliar with Ubuntu terminology that I'm having such a problem. I am trying to install Adobe Flash. I get it saved to my desktop, double click on it and I'm on the screen that says Archive Edit View Help. I click on the folder and then extract. And then what? At first, I got a long list, ignored it and just clicked extract. I'm guessing I managed to install Adobe because now, on this second screen (Extract) Adobe isn't highlighted. But I can't tell if I did install it or not.

I have a good basic book on Ubuntu and while it helps some, it seems to be missing things that I want to do. Is there another all encompassing fountain of knowledge out there (besides the forums). The book is Beginning Ubuntu Linux from 2009.

I'm running 10.10
    Last edited by haapsalu_sall; April 11th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: how to extract files from archive

There's an easier way to install Adobe's flash. Open System > Administration > Synaptic, or Ubuntu Software Centre and install the package flashplugin-installer. Better still, install the package ubuntu-restricted-extras which will give you flash, open source java equivalent, MS core fonts and most of the video and audio codecs you'll need.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Generally speaking, you don't need to install software like that with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu holds packages containing software in a repository that you have access to. It's more secure to get software this way and it's more likely to work with everything else on your system.

Find an application called Synaptic in your menus. Under System somewhere. Run it, enter your password and hit the reload button. This makes sure you have the latest catalogue of software.

Search for "flash" using the search button on the right end of the menu. There should be a package called "flashplugin-installer". Tick the box and Apply from the menu. Follow any other instructions you get.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks. It worked and I figured out more about the extract file.