Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Unity Bugs bother you most?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Which Unity Bugs bother you most?

As the classic gnome-panel desktop will be dropped in 11.10, it becomes increasing important to give the developers feedback where the community suffers most under unity.

I know, the forum here is not the place for feedback, but launchpad is! ("affects me", comments, fixes...) So maybe, this thread can be some kind of runway to link to the different issues that are still left.
    (or maybe it dies soon or maybe it gets fused into the unity mega thread.... )

So let's start:
    For me, I don't like how workspace management has changed. In my opinion, when I'm on one workspace, I should not see anything going on on the other workspaces to avoid distraction and keep order.
    These bugs break this:
    should be possible to display only the launchers on the current workspace
    Application icons should only display windows from the current workspace in the window spread

Further, it is now hard to select text document windows:
    very hard to distinguish/select text documents in the expose window spread

Also, I lose Firefox-Globalmenu very often.

And finally for now, it is not possible to paste something in the dash, neither by ctrl+c, nor by context-menu, nor by mousemiddleclick.

(Speaking of context-menus: i really miss them in unity, although this is no special bug...)

which bugs bother you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Which Unity Bugs bother you most?

it would be nice to have multiple window management. for example when i have 2 or more firefox windows opened, i have to click the firefox icon and then it spreads all of the windows and i have to choose one. it would be better if i could right-click firefox and choose from window title.

and i would like to set downloads folder in launcher instead of home folder...

Beans

These bugs break this:
    Application icons should only display windows from the current workspace in the window spread
    The problem there is that the scale option/binding "Window Picker for Window Group" does pull from all workspaces, there is no "Window Picker for Window Group on Current Workspace Only" in the scale plugin.

Since this orig. came up there has been many opportunities to clarify what the intention was for the click (or 2nd click) on launcher icon, none has been forthcoming except for MS comment which has not be acted upon.
    (quite the opposite actually

Personally I want the current way to stay, though if it's decided (later) to create a new action for the click on icon that's alright as long as the current scale - "Window Picker for Window Group", can be bound to something of the users choosing (atm you can't set a binding, it's taken by unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

By far, my biggest pet peeve is the lack of ability for a unity launcher icon to minimize its respective window.

Very often you'll want to take a quick glimpse at a minimized/hidden window, but then quickly return to your current window. In any other dock, the expected behavior is to click the minimized app's launcher to maximize/restore, then click it again to minimize.

Currently, the Unity launchers will maximize/restore a window, but clicking again does nothing. It then becomes necessary/frustrating/distracting to have to hunt down the minimize button on the title bar or in the global menu and click that.

There's a bug on this issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/733349

but due to the fact that the behavior is "by design", it'll be a tough change to get through to Ayatana unfortunately.
    Last edited by tekstr1der; April 8th, 2011 at 09:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The ones where it crashes, locks up or windows don't display correctly.

The other stuff is just user-interface niggles that I would hope would be worked around with configuration options when that stage comes. I can live with all that for the time being, but basic reliability is critical and could make or break Unity IMO.

Beans
    Distro

The one I'm just about to write a long blog post about.
    // Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post
    The ones where it crashes, locks up or windows don't display correctly.

The other stuff is just user-interface niggles that I would hope would be worked around with configuration options when that stage comes. I can live with all that for the time being, but basic reliability is critical and could make or break Unity IMO.
    True for me as well. I have gotten use to the DE niggles.
    Recently, no crashes. Not to say I haven't tried to crash it - Right now its like a Timex...it keeps on ticking.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tekstr1der View Post
    Currently, the Unity launchers will maximize/restore a window, but clicking again does nothing. It then becomes necessary/frustrating/distracting to have to hunt down the minimize button on the title bar or in the global menu and click that.
    If you never run multiple instances on an application and never run MDI applicatiosn like Gimp, that sounds all well and good.

For me personally I like the current behavior, if you do have multiple windows of the same app, the window switching is consistent with the desktop switching and I like having a visual representation more than I like having a list. Having said that, I would also like like to see a list of windows when right clicking the launcher of an open application, the way Docky does it.

Outside of that I would rather see the work in this area going into making the application launching and the window and desktop switching work together in a more integrated way. Which could perhaps resemble some of the following.

After clicking on the workspace switcher, while viewing your desktops....

• Select a desktop and left or middle click a launcher icon to launch the application on the selected desktop.

• If left clicking the icon of an app that is already running, raise that apps windows on all desktops, with additional left clicks cycling through that applications windows if there are desktops where that application has more than one window.

• 'Alt'+'Tab' to cycle the windows on the selected desktop.

As it is now when you click on 'Workspace Switcher', select a desktop, then click an application launcher icon, the results are not very consistent/predictable, in particular if after doing it once you select a different desktop and do it again and 'Alt'+'Tab' doesn't work at all.

Later, Seeker
    Last edited by seeker5528; April 9th, 2011 at 02:01 AM.
    ¨Everybody's trying to be my villain, And I was unaware of the vacancy.¨....
    ¨And maybe someday I will not be destitute, and I will be kicked by a better brand of boot.¨
    --Golden Shoulders

Beans
    Distro

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/739068
    "Cycling through app windows and apps themselves need improvement"

Nuff said.
    Last edited by Starks; April 9th, 2011 at 03:08 AM.

Beans

As it is now when you click on 'Workspace Switcher', select a desktop, then click an application launcher icon, the results are not very consistent/predictable.
    There was a short time when it seemed to open on highlighted ws. Now it will but the ws has to have a window already on it. (so apps are added to workspace w/ window focus not ws focus

As far as a bug I'm surprised is yet unfixed is nautilus appmenu on desktop focus, the places dropdown is very useful if not using maxed windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast