Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Ubuntu "pure Gnome" respin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Proposed Ubuntu "pure Gnome" respin

Quote Originally Posted by Cenotaph View Post
    I think it would be ok to have a gnome3 spin of ubuntu, as long as it doesn't shift Canonical's focus away from Ubuntu. As long as we get proper packaging to do this in the universe repository i think that's all we need. kinda like Xubuntu
    You want GNOME 3? That will be in Oneiric by default.
    I think you mean GNOME Shell, which should be as easy and changing your mail to Thunderbird, or messenger to Pidgin.

The problem I see with this "pure GNOME" respin, is some people want the Panels. And getting rid of the Panels isn't Canonical's "fault" due to Unity, it's GNOME's due to GNOME Shell, and that they will eventually be discontinued. As such, someone one would have to maintain the Panels since GNOME wouldn't be doing so anymore.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    What is the harm if someone with the need think they should spawn a respin? It will just be one of the many -buntus. I said most likely I wouldn't use it, but I don't understand why people have to argue against others who for one reason or another think that is a good idea. It doesn't take anything away, it just add diversity to the eco system (I don't see the point of Mint, but I would not argue that it is a waste of time, some people happen to like it)
    BINGO! You win the prize!

I find Mint's tools totally wrong-minded, but that's only my opinion. I prefer Ubuntu so I'm biased from the start

They are now #2 at Distro-Watch and it does seem that they're one of the most nOOb friendly distros

Read post #4 here:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1665

I still suspect that was misspeak by Clem but, if not, they'll be the first Debian based distro with gnome3!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    I think you mean GNOME Shell, which should be as easy and changing your mail to Thunderbird, or messenger to Pidgin.

The problem I see with this "pure GNOME" respin, is some people want the Panels. And getting rid of the Panels isn't Canonical's "fault" due to Unity, it's GNOME's due to GNOME Shell, and that they will eventually be discontinued. As such, someone one would have to maintain the Panels since GNOME wouldn't be doing so anymore.
    Did I say anything about anything being anyones fault? You're starting a fight over nothing!

I think I presented this in a very reasonable manner. Now I'm getting slammed every way from Friday

I suspect that most of the comments are from people that were too lazy to read the threads linked to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There's no reason why you can't or shouldn't , I just don't see a need for it , I can just sudo apt-get install gnome3-desktop / sudo reboot. You can do anything you want.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
    There's no reason why you can't or shouldn't , I just don't see a need for it , I can just sudo apt-get install gnome3-desktop / sudo reboot. You can do anything you want.
    The key words to that comment are highlighted

But my needs differ from yours

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Did I say anything about anything being anyones fault? You're starting a fight over nothing!

I think I presented this in a very reasonable manner. Now I'm getting slammed every way from Friday

I suspect that most of the comments are from people that were too lazy to read the threads linked to.
    Don't take it personally.
    The whole "Canonical is taking away my panels!!" is a misconception I see a lot.

As long as it is known that someone will have to maintain the panels (other than GNOME who is doing it now) then I really don't have any problem with the idea.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Yes, Gnome3 with Gnome Shell. From what I understand ppl want a distro with this plus the classic gnome desktop, right? I don't think it should be actively pursued by Canonical, but i have no problem with the community doing this.

Beans

The key words to that comment are highlighted

But my needs differ from yours
    Yep, but every Ubuntu relases there are some changes, big or small..
    Do we want to create a respin every ubuntu release because of these??!

think also this respin cannot be called "Ubuntu whatever",
    cannot use canonical artwork (theme, icons..) because changes are huge
    and next ubuntu release will ship gnome3.

anyone should feel free to create derivatives, but to me this time it would be better to wait and see what will happen.

Beans

I think I presented this quite graciously, with no intent of "forcing" anyone to think one way or another.

OTOH I truly feel that I've been attacked by the unity-fan-boyz quite vociferously!

Sheesh, it's almost as bad as politics

I think it's a bit sad that someone can't report something related to Ubuntu they find interesting w/o being attacked on this level.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ATM that gets you the same DE as Debian Squeeze:

But ATM Ubuntu uses gnome version 2.32.

Beyond that we're talking about gnome3 there, not gnome2*. I'm already working on a how-to for 11.04:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1718631

But SABDFL has stated more than once that no gnome classic look will be available in 11.10.

And I don't think we're talking about a fork, but rather the availability of a retro-gnome DE choice w/gnome3, why is that not OK?
    The thing is that there is no such thing as pure Gnome, it has to be run on top of a distribution, be it Debian, openSUSE or Fedora.

Yes, it still is Gnome2, but Gnome 3 should be in the Debian repositories, and once the Ubuntu tool chain is uploaded, gnome 3 should be available. It's either that, of someone has to create Gnome3 debs, as the ones available don't work very well. What you are talking about is creating another distribution, and not a respin, as the packages are not easily available yet.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast