Thread: Unity Top Panel Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Unity Top Panel Question

In Gnome 2, if you resized the screen (on a laptop for example) the applets would get all screwed up, and appear in different places. This was due to the fact that Gnome used "absolute" locations for applets, and absolute locations change when the screen res. changes.

Has this been fixed in Unity?

Beans

Re: Unity Top Panel Question

Unity has only three applets. Left-most is the menu and right next to it is the window name + File/View menu. On the right, there is the session (username), notification area, clock and sound prefs just like in 10.10. I don't think those are absolute, so it should be fine.

Beans
    Distro

Has anyone tested Unity on a laptop with varying screen resolutions yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    On the right, there is the session (username), notification area, clock and sound prefs just like in 10.10. I don't think those are absolute, so it should be fine.
    These are the things that rearrange themselves on my laptop (10.10) going from external monitor to laptop screen.
    Hence, I would be surprised if this has changed.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    These are the things that rearrange themselves on my laptop (10.10) going from external monitor to laptop screen.
    Hence, I would be surprised if this has changed.
    The applets are not user movable in Unity, so either the problem has been fixed, or that really sucks for laptop users because you cant fix it once its been broken...

(Technically you could delete the gconf panel scheme, but new users wont know how to do that...)
    Last edited by kevin11951; April 8th, 2011 at 10:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kevin11951 View Post
    The applets are not user movable in Unity, so either the problem has been fixed, or that really sucks for laptop users because you cant fix it once its been broken.
    I swap between 2 screens so often, I've gotten used to the "new" layout on 1 of the screens.
    Will give 11.04 a go at some point and see if the problem persists. Don't want to report it as a bug if it has been fixed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kevin11951 View Post
    The applets are not user movable in Unity, so either the problem has been fixed, or that really sucks for laptop users because you cant fix it once its been broken...

(Technically you could delete the gconf panel scheme, but new users wont know how to do that...)
    It's fixed for me, so I'd say yes. The panel is generally much more static(For better or worse, I won't argue that), making it easy to fix this bug. The big button and global menu are always stuck to the left, and the indicators are always stuck to the right.
    Last edited by NCLI; April 9th, 2011 at 04:29 PM.