0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you use workspaces?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Do you use workspaces?

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    I generally use only one. When I've had the need to use more, it has rarely gone above two.
    Yep I am the same, I don't know if it's ingrained from using windows every day for 20 years or something but I find it easier to minimise/maximise and switch windows that way than spreading my work out over 4 separate windows.

I hope I'll 'get it' one day because it seems like a useful feature to use.
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like using about 4 workspaces on my desktop and switching them with the Compiz cube effect (just for fun). My laptop too, if I have it working.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have 9 available, and on a busy day, I use each one for different things. For me it helps me keep things organised

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use 6 in xfce and gnome

In the console it gets silly because I'm logged into 2 other boxes using byobu with about 6-8 "workspaces" on 2 different ttys (sort of console work spaces), then I have my own byobu with 8-10 "workspaces" plus 2 more ttys, one for links2 -g and one for mplayer because they don't work within terminal multiplexers.............

...........so, if you look at it that way, I can have up to 28........

.....I only say this because I'm guessing (with absolutely no knowledge at all) that the whole idea of workspaces developed from the notion of tty1, tty2, tty3 etc etc etc

Beans

I use "only" one and to be perfectly honest I have never understood what need do they fulfill. Seems more like an extra bother to have stuff going on on different workspaces. But I guess it just wasn't meant for my use case. To each his own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I use 4..

Beans

I have 4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I typically use 3 but 4 combined in a cube is not a problem. I just like to be able to click on any one of the 3 or 4 and have that workspace open directly w/o additional clicks or keystrokes.
    I have to agree, the workspace switcher in Unity isn't very useful, I run docky, and have added the workspace switcher docklet to go directly to the desktop I want. I normally use 4 worksapces.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MrNatewood View Post
    I use "only" one and to be perfectly honest I have never understood what need do they fulfill.
    Workspaces simply group windows together. This reduces clutter and makes the desktop easier to navigate. Most people probably like to categorize their workspaces. For example, I always put the most frequently used app in my first workspace, the second most used app in the second workspace, and so on. Less overlap means less clicking to bring your windows to the front and so on. It also means that what is going on in an app in another workspace is less likely to distract you from what you are working on in the current workspace, which can make you more feel more focused and productive.

In most window managers, you can also click-drag windows between different spaces in the workspace switcher itself (a feature I use a lot).
    Help yourself: Ubuntu Docs - Ubuntu Packages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Usually I don't use them unless I'm doing many things at once and I don't want to accidentally close a program. Especially if I'm working with multiple documents or spreadsheets.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234