Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bash, Sed & Awk tutorials

Beans

Re: Bash, Sed & Awk tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by jerome bettis View Post
    i know it can be done, but look how much more work that was. thanks for helping me prove my point so well
    that was just a poor example.. You can see geirha's example. (@geirha's thanks,been dormant for a while and forgot about FILENAME). Sorry what point are you proving again?

bash/sed/awk are all worth learning.
    when it comes to parsing files, bash (to call awk ) and awk is all you need. The rest of the tools that can read files -> wc, tr, sed, grep, cat, nl, head, etc one can chuck it in his toolbox and never use it. But for some, like tail, is sometimes indispensable due to its purpose. (although you can also use awk to simulate "tail")

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdog74 View Post
    You only need to learn awk out of sed/awk. Forget about sed. With awk, you can do what sed does , and much more, because Awk is a programming language itself. If you want to get more in depth on awk, look at its manual. (see my sig)
    If awk is a programming language, what is it designed to program? can it program an entire program, with a gui and such?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Drenriza View Post
    If awk is a programming language, what is it designed to program? can it program an entire program, with a gui and such?
    Have you read the link "Effective awk" in my sig? awk is little language that provides you with the basics for programming, arrays, variables, functions, if/else, switch etc. What can it program ? anything that you can produce with those programming features! Except GUI...because it doesn't have that kind of library (not like fully featured ones like Python or Ruby). See here for more on what awk can do

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

For bash

http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide

Check the faq and pitfalls section as well.
    +1 to this. I liked the site so much i put it in my sig. Well worth reading before any tldp documentation.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

awesome glad I ran across this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12