Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DraftSight (2d CAD free)

Beans

DraftSight (2d CAD free)

Has anyone installed DraftSight?

I would like to know how can I install it, it is great to have a 2d CAD for ubunut! it is great that dassault final makes it...

Here the link to the site , hopefully someone can help me.

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsig...xtor=EREC-509-[eng-tips-cadforums]-20110406

Beans

Re: DraftSight (2d CAD free)

I had trouble installing DraftSight on my 64-bit machine, and these are the instructions I received from Dassault technical services:

DraftSight Linux Beta 32 bit is not supported yet on Linux 64 bit architecture. You can install the x86 installer under x64 but this may causes problems on 64 bit Linux OS. So, it is recommended to install and run DraftSight on 32 bit Linux OS.
    A user reported the similar type of error "wrong architecture” on DraftSight community (https://swym.3ds.com/#community:70/iquestions:2698). A workaround would be to try installation via Terminal.

To install the downloaded package DraftSight.deb on Ubuntu x64 using the workaround do following:

1. Open a Terminal window and run 4 commands one by one to install 4 libraries :

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    sudo apt-get install libdirectfb-extra
    sudo apt-get install libxcb-render-util0
    sudo apt-get install libaudio2

2. In the Terminal window run command to go to the folder where DraftSight.deb package is placed (e.g. Downloads):

cd Downloads

3. In Terminal window run command to force install DraftSight:

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture DraftSight.deb

Also, for more information on Premium version of DraftSight, you can send an email to Premium@draftsight.com
    Once again thank you for using DraftSight.

Regards,
    Ravi Ranglani
    DraftSight Technical Support Team

No problems installing DraftSight on my Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit system with these instructions...

Beans

Hello,
    I just installed DraftSight. I am very happy to say that most of the commands I learned for Autodesk AutoCAD are the same in DraftSight.
    This is a good thing for me, because I want to move away from Windows altogether, and AutoCAD was one of the legacy softwares that kept WinXP on my machine.

Again, I am well satisfied with the installed program...but the pdf I downloaded did not fully resolve ( it appears to be written in font that is the same color as the background. The 'bullets' are visible, but the text is not there).

Beans
    Hidden!

I did the steps in cwarner7_11 post from information I found on another site and it did not work for me on Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 2 64 bit OS Natty Narwhal. It showed in the terminal what I posted in this thread I created: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ght=draftsight but it appears others are having problems with 64 bit OS too: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ght=draftsight

My only work around is that I dual boot into windows if I need to use a program like this that Linux doesn't support.

For anyone that uses DraftSight to edit or make a DWG and then open it with AutoCAD there will be a warning displayed that says it is foreign drawing in AutoCAD. It doesn't appear to be a problem just stating that it was either not created or edited by AutoCAD. The warning can be turned off. Just letting anyone know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

How can i run draftsight from terminal???
    student 4. grade, Fi/Te, PeF-Ljubljana

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Look into the DraftSight launcher properties, and copy the command field into the terminal. If it's not changed from the version from 6 months ago, it should be

Code:
    /opt/dassault-systemes/draftsight/bin/DraftSight

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you SOLVED
    student 4. grade, Fi/Te, PeF-Ljubljana

Beans

Hello Ravi Ranglani ,

Are the commands you shared me still the same needed? Is it now supporting 64 bit systems?

Thanks for your help

Beans

Kinda late to the thread. But I have used Draftsight many times before. Before I retired I was an Engineer/Draftsman using Solidworks. Sadly SW isnt available for Linux or even OSX..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Does eny one experience this problem on 64 bit machine;
    alex@alex-Studio-XPS-1340:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture draftSight.deb
    dpkg: regarding draftSight.deb containing dassault-systemes-draftsight:i386, pre-dependency problem:
    dassault-systemes-draftsight:i386 pre-depends on libdirectfb-extra (>= 1.2.7-2)
    dpkg: error processing draftSight.deb (--install):
    pre-dependency problem - not installing dassault-systemes-draftsight:i386
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    draftSight.deb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast