Thread: HFS+ Journaled write access with force option in FSTAB: Is it safe?

Beans

HFS+ Journaled write access with force option in FSTAB: Is it safe?

Hi! I wasn't sure if this thread belonged in hardware, apple users, development or wherever - please mods bare with me!

My question: is the "force" option safe for journaled HFS+ volumes? Why discourage it/why not just support journaled HFS+ if it's working? I have only been able to find two posts on the subject: one user suggests it should be fine and he has no problem circa 2008, the other says that he read that others had problems (2006). Does anyone have any say/experience on this issue? Am I destroying my disks?

Background: I've been using ubuntu/xubuntu as a server for my primarily OS X environment for a few years thanks to the wonderful (though now out of date) tutorial by kremalicious. When I initially started I had all of my music, movies and backups on journaled HFS+ volumes on external drives. Being poor I couldn't afford new drives, so rather than formatting to ext3 I just turned off journaling on the HFS+ volumes and mounting, r/w, and so on worked without issue.

I did a fresh install of 10.10 the other day and decided that I'd add network Time Machine backups to my current backup routine. Wanting to maintain a HFS+ environment and being very skeptical of turning off journaling (hasn't been a problem but everyone insists it will be), I formatted my new time machine volume as JOURNALED HFS+ and I reenabled journaling on all of my external/shared volumes from my mac and added the following to my clean FSTAB:
    Code:
    /dev/sdd3 /media/peggy\040sue hfsplus force,rw,exec,auto,users,uid=501,gid=100 0 0
    /dev/sdc2 /media/joan hfsplus force,rw,exec,auto,users,uid=501,gid=100 0 0
    and so on for each journaled HFS+ volume (spaces here are tabs in FSTAB)

This has allowed me r/w access on my HFS+ JOURNALED volumes, so far without any hiccup (though it's only been three days). In fact, I can backup to my networked journaled HFS+ time machine volume without any problem or need to hack Time Machine settings in OS X or add the "tm" option to netatalk's applevolumes.default.

I will probably be turning off journaling on the non-time machine volumes later today and use the time machine volume as an experiment (I do weekly SuperDuper backups), but it'd be nice if I could just leave it on.

P.S. Installed hfsutils, hfsprogs, and hfsplus
    Last edited by drowsyhaze; May 13th, 2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: signature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HFS+ Journaled write access with force option in FSTAB: Is it safe?

Just want to let you know I found this post useful. I'd forgotten all about the force option in mount. It's the little things I suppose.

Beans

Glad to hear it! I've seen a lot of threads where people were struggling to read journaled HFS+, hope this helps others as well.

So, update: I've been doing Time Machine backups to an HFS+ Journaled disk on my xubuntu 10.10 machine for about a month now with no problems at all! Passes fsck run by cron every week, will update again later...

Beans

Wondering if someone could answer my question from this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post10790096

Beans

Responded, good luck!

Beans

Update: about two days ago I got a TimeMachine error regarding the integrity of my backup, TimeMachine arguing that I have to make a new one. I performed an fsck, cleaned appled files, browsed the sparsebundle and "entered TimeMachine" but all seemed fine. So, I guess there's a bug someplace, but where and what is it?!
    Last edited by drowsyhaze; May 13th, 2011 at 07:31 PM.

Beans

Just an update: it's been a few months now and I haven't had any errors on any of my machines since the last one. Will update again if I ever do, but for now I think it's safe to assume that it's pretty safe to force mount your HFS+ volumes.