Thread: Files are corrupted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy Files are corrupted

Hey guys,

I'm running an Ubuntu server (10.04 LTS 32-bit, on a 32-bit system) and frankly nothing concerning files, seems to work as it should.

- I can't upload images, because after that they seem to be corrupted
    - If I zip something on the server and try to open it elsewhere, it says the checksum isn't correct
    - I can't export from MySQL from the server and import to another because apparently it contains errors

And who knows what else is coming

Does anyone have a clue of what's going on here? I updated everything to the last version of the software, so that can't be it.

Thanks in advance for helping!
    Yes, Ubuntu is indeed the best Linux distribution.

Beans

Re: Files are corrupted

Did you check if your hard drive is ok?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, it's a brand new system and the harddrive works fine for what I know. I run a search engine on it, and it manages fine with the database and such.

The problems come when I want to import or export something from/to another computer. So I guess it has something to do with my filesystem and not really my hard drive?

I just can't think of anything that could be wrong with it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Sitix View Post
    Hey guys,

- I can't upload images, because after that they seem to be corrupted
    - If I zip something on the server and try to open it elsewhere, it says the checksum isn't correct
    - I can't export from MySQL from the server and import to another because apparently it contains errors
    For #2 and #3, how are you transferring the files to the other location? FTP? SFTP? HTTP?
    --iissmart--

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by iissmart View Post
    For #2 and #3, how are you transferring the files to the other location? FTP? SFTP? HTTP?
    I used mysqldump, saved it in /var/www/, then used wget http://blabla to retrieve it on the other server. So that would be HTTP.

But the problem is in the conversion I think. If I upload through FTP, the images get corrupted. ASCII text doesn't. Could it have something to do with binary file format not being processed correctly or something?

I managed to get my database on another server by now, by exporting through phpmyadmin, saving to my desktop computer, then uploading to another server. That somehow works...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Not sure about your mysql situation, but #2 sounds like your FTP server or client isn't switching to Binary mode before the transfer (of non-text files). Try forcing it in your FTP client beforehand, and see if zip files open correctly. Or, switch to SFTP, which adds security and a guarantee of no corruption with a slight reduction in performance/transfer speed.
    --iissmart--

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iissmart View Post
    Not sure about your mysql situation, but #2 sounds like your FTP server or client isn't switching to Binary mode before the transfer (of non-text files). Try forcing it in your FTP client beforehand, and see if zip files open correctly. Or, switch to SFTP, which adds security and a guarantee of no corruption with a slight reduction in performance/transfer speed.
    Agreed, although I would simply try forcing BINary through the command line ftp client first, i.e.:

Code:
    ftp somehost.com
    user someuser
    pass somepass
    cd wherever
    lcd wherever 
    bin
    put/get whatever