Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Install Ubuntu 10.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Best Way to Install Ubuntu 10.04?

I've been having intermittent problems with my Ratel almost since I got it, with freezing and then sometimes not booting properly. It was suggested that I upgrade to 10.04, but my issue was intermittent enough that it wasn't worth the hassle. Now it looks like maybe I have no choice; it doesn't look like Ubuntu is going to load.

I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 on another computer and put the disk in, and it gave me the option to use the Live CD or install. I clicked to install, but it wanted to know whether I wanted to install alongside 9.04 (and keep my existing partitions, I guess?) or do a clean install and erase the disk. At first I chose to erase the whole disk because that seemed simpler (I have all my files backed up). But it got stuck at 5 percent and said it "failed" at partitioning or something like that. Right now I'm using the Live CD.

With a System76 PC, is there a correct way to install? Is the disk already partitioned, so that I should choose the option to install alongside 9.04?

If I use the Live CD, can I access my existing files? I don't see them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best Way to Install Ubuntu 10.04?

You should be able to access your files from the hard disk. if the partitioning is failing, you'll want to re-download and re-burn the image file; it sounds to me like it got corrupted.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I re-tried installing. It apparently already erased the file system and is giving me this error:

"Failed to create a file system.
    The ext4 file system creation in partition #1 of SCS13 (0,0,0) (sda) failed."

What does that mean? Is there anything I can do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    You should be able to access your files from the hard disk. if the partitioning is failing, you'll want to re-download and re-burn the image file; it sounds to me like it got corrupted.
    So it's probably the CD/iso image that's corrupted, and not the computer itself?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nope, I downloaded a new image on a different computer (Windows this time) and made a new disk, and it's giving me the exact same error in the same place, at 5 percent.

I'm pretty sure this is a 64-bit computer, but maybe my problem is that I'm trying to use the 64-bit version of Ubuntu? Or should I try downloading 9.04 and installing that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Did you run md5sum on the downloaded image and install disk? If not,I highly recommend doing that. Instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

I had the exact same problem with either 9.10 or 10.04, and it turned out to be a bad download.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, I'll try the md5sum - right now, I'm downloading Linux Mint to see if a different OS makes a difference.

I assume that, whatever I install, whether it's Ubuntu 9.04 or 10.04, or Mint, I still need to install the System76 driver like the instructions say to do when you install 10.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jeffran View Post
    Did you run md5sum on the downloaded image and install disk? If not,I highly recommend doing that. Instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Good luck!
    The "hash" matches fine: c19e5139e10df2626055f1d9985856d7

So it isn't the download. And since I downloaded and created a disk from two different PC's using two different operating systems (and even two different brands of disks), then I'm doubting it's the iso download or the disk. Which leaves . . . the PC I'm installing to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'd suggest using gparted to re-partition the hdd from the 10.04 live cd. (I'm pretty sure gparted is on there.) While you're at it, why not update to 10.10?

My Ratel (pre-installed w/ 10.10) was having some issues related to disk partitions until I dropped the extended and logical partition containing the swap space. Even booted from a live disk image, it wouldn't let me resize the primary (root) partition until I deleted the extended partition (which served no real purpose anyway). I ended up creating a smaller partition for the root file system, a separate partition for /home, and put swap in a primary partition instead of the logical one. Everything works great now.
    MSI Wind U100-432US (Synaptics touchpad, Intel Wifi Link 1000, Bison webcam rev.03), Ubuntu 10.10
    System76 Ratel Ultra (Core i5-650, 4GB DDR3, 1.5 TB HDD)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually, this might be a bad disk too. Go ahead and try the other suggestions, but should those fail, go ahead and send us an email at support...at...system76...dot...com. We can get you a new hard disk.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast