Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can read but not write to Samba Share with Win7

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can read but not write to Samba Share with Win7

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post

...Linux is not without it's own insanity though. Since 10.10 an package called libpam-smbpass is installed by default.
    I guess what I don't see as productive is the notion that Linux is insane or even illogical. I would think the developers look to the larger system administrated installations for development solutions. The libpam-smbpass package is a needed part of those installations.

I don't see the libpam-smbpass PAM module installed by default at all. I have checked the installs of my 10.04 DE installs. They do NOT have this PAM module installed at all. It is not listed in 10.10 or 11.04. These Samba packages do not list libpam-smbpass as a dependency or a part or the Samba 3.5.x package.
    -BAB1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    I guess what I don't see as productive is the notion that Linux is insane or even illogical. I would think the developers look to the larger system administrated installations for development solutions. The libpam-smbpass package is a needed part of those installations.
    In a true Samba File Server where there are many clients, users don't have local login capability to the server itself ( they have user accounts without passwords or home directories ) so libpam-smbpass has nothing to sync with rendering it harmless. It should be up to the discretion of the SysAdmin in my opinion if he/she wants such a thing and deploy the utility as they see fit.
    I don't see the libpam-smbpass PAM module installed by default at all. I have checked the installs of my 10.04 DE installs. They do NOT have this PAM module installed at all. It is not listed in 10.10 or 11.04. These Samba packages do not list libpam-smbpass as a dependency or a part or the Samba 3.5.x package.
    I have personally installed 10.10 on 7 machines and it installed libpam-smbpass on each one by default. These were Gnome desktop installs so maybe it's only on the Gnome version that this is happening. It was never installed by default prior to 10.10. It's quite possible I keep making the same mistake somewhere during or post install adding it without realizing it. I'm getting old and feeble minded so that's a distinct possibility
    Last edited by Morbius1; April 9th, 2011 at 01:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post

I have personally installed 10.10 on 7 machines and it installed libpam-smbpass on each one by default. These were Gnome desktop installs so maybe it's only on the Gnome version that this is happening. It was never installed by default prior to 10.10. It's quite possible I keep making the same mistake somewhere during or post install adding it without realizing it. I'm getting old and feeble minded so that's a distinct possibility
    Morbius,

I don't think you are feeble minded at all. Your libpam-smbpass experience was my interest. It turns out that we are both looking at the same animal from different angles.

The libpam-smbpass package is not installed when the Samba package is installed. It is installed when you configure shares using Gnome (i.e. right click, etc, etc,). I believe you use this method (usershares). See here for the devs explanation (see post #4). I never configure my shares using Gnome. I use the smb.conf file. This appears why I never see the libpam-smbpass package on my systems.
    -BAB1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    The libpam-smbpass package is not installed when the Samba package is installed. It is installed when you configure shares using Gnome (i.e. right click, etc, etc,). I believe you use this method (usershares). See here for the devs explanation (see post #4). I never configure my shares using Gnome. I use the smb.conf file. This appears why I never see the libpam-smbpass package on my systems.
    Well, that explains it. You are correct, after years of using Classic shares on the server ( little "s" ) and and fstab on the client end I now use a combination of classic share and usershare ( depending on the box and what I'm sharing ) on the server end and Gigolo of all things to auto mount remote shares.

Not quite sure I understand the developers assessment that libpam-smbpass "makes sense as a default behavior" with usershares but at least I understand why It appeared to be in the default install on every box I set up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12