Thread: Some questions about Lemur UltraThin

Beans

Some questions about Lemur UltraThin

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm thinking about getting a Lemur UltraThin for myself. I figured that there must be lots of System76 users here so I could ask a few questions before I buy.

- How long does the battery last with display brightness set to minimum and all radios off? I'm interested in hearing from both the 31.08 WH and the 62.16 WH battery.
    - Are all of the drivers for all hardware in the laptop open source?
    - Can I use it with Linux distributions other than Ubuntu? (Fedora would be my preferred choice.) What are the drivers that are present in Ubuntu but not in the vanilla Linux kernel?
    - Does System76 ship outside the USA?
    - Do they ship the laptop with other keyboard layouts?
    - How well does the Intel GMA 5700MHD perform? Can it connect to a Full HD external display? How well does it work with games? (Has anyone, by chance, tried running Starcraft 2 over Wine on it?)

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Beans

Re: Some questions about Lemur UltraThin

I can't say battery with minimum brightness and all radios off, but I get about an hour and a half to two hours with normal usage.

AFAIK, all drivers are open source.

I'm currently on Arch Linux without any flaws, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to use another distro.

S76 ships to Canada and the UK.

I've actually tried Starcraft 2 in wine. Suffice to say I was disappointed with the results. With settings as low as they can go, it was playable, but you could definitely feel some lag. I never actually played a game, but from the parts of the campaign I did, it didn't really feel like I'd WANT to play a game at that speed.

Beans

Thank you Ebonwumon for your answers!

I's a pity that they don't ship to Europe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is it okay if I hijack this thread to ask some questions of my own? (So as not to add another thread to the mix.)

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a Lemur UltraThin once it ships with Natty, but wondered about a few things. My biggest hang up with this system (other than the glossy screen) is the GMA 5700MHD graphics. I currently have an eco desktop that uses a step down from this, but even still worry how Lemur's integrated graphics will perform. As now whenever I visit a Flash filled page or watch videos, my fan kicks in and my system monitor becomes all ablaze with activity over the heavy system strain. For reference, I would get the system with the following upgrades: 6GB memory, 120 SSD hard drive, and 62.16 WH battery.

The question I have (finally) is to ask as to whether or not the Lemur is super silent. Do the fans power off and on a lot? Are the fans loud?

Also, with the beefier battery, how does the system's dimensions change? Is the battery super bulky, or just an added little bar of bulk?

I probably should just get the Gazelle for its highly preferred matte screen and dedicated graphics, but it's just soooo heavy and bulky. But, it is still an option all the same.

Sorry, Venemo for muscling in on your thread. I hope you don't mind should my post find replies.

Thanks.
    Last edited by norfair; April 9th, 2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: tweaks

Beans

My Lemur is pretty quiet. The fans are on most of the time, but on a very low setting which is just a relaxing whirr. Occasionally they'll boot into high gear, at which point you can definitely hear them, but it's not like a jet engine flying around. I'm not sure what measure I can use for sounds, I don't have a decibel meter on hand, but it's definitely not loud.

That said, 720p videos generally cause the fan to kick in, take that as you will.

720p flash fullscreen videos are choppy. I'm quite sure that's the fault of flash player being a piece of garbage on Linux though. I can watch 1080p videos in mplayer without much of a hitch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
    Thank you Ebonwumon for your answers!

I's a pity that they don't ship to Europe.
    Hi . You can find in some webshops the same laptop as Lemur2 (Clevo S3101, airis H9) in most of the European countries.