Thread: Computer hangs when trying to sleep after external monitor is connected or disconnect

Beans

Computer hangs when trying to sleep after external monitor is connected or disconnect

I posted this as a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/753216), but wanted to check whether I was the only one with the problem, and that it's not system specific.

On my Lemur (with Maverick installed), suspend will stop working after I configure the machine to use an external monitor. It does not matter whether I use multiple displays or mirror the same display onto both screens. It also doesn't matter whether I disconnect the monitor or I disable the second display first. I use gnome-display-properties to set up my screens. In order to use the computer again I must force a reboot.

Steps to reproduce:
    1) Boot computer
    2) Connect external monitor (into VGA port)
    3) Set up dual heads
    4) Disconnect external monitor
    5) Close the lid

Expected results:
    - Computer goes into standby, as normal.

Actual results:
    - Computer remains on and no longer responds to mouse or keyboard. Fan also spins up.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas? Thanks. Btw, by and large, great machine!
    Last edited by mjumbewu; April 7th, 2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Computer hangs when trying to sleep after external monitor is connected or discon

I can't say we're seeing any issues like that with our shop Lemur, but I'll do some testing. Is it a LemU2?

Also, try doing the same steps from a LiveCD. That will rule out any software problems.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!