Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovery mode won't even boot. Help appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Recovery mode won't even boot. Help appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Kir_B View Post
    The reason I ask, is that my boot command ends with "ro splash quiet quiet splash". So, if I'm hearing you right, I just need to remove the final "splash" and replace it with nomodeset?

If that's right, I'm good to go.

Thanks again.

Kirby
    Replace the quiet splash with nomodeset. You can mess with this area it will not save the changes, all you have to do is reboot and it is gone. I think hitting esc also returns you to the grub menu with the changes removed....from the edit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    Replace the quiet splash with nomodeset. You can mess with this area it will not save the changes, all you have to do is reboot and it is gone. I think hitting esc also returns you to the grub menu with the changes removed....from the edit
    Thanks a tonne wilee-nilee.

Okay. I did just that and I get the following:
    Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode

The following error was encountered. You may need to update your configuration to solve this.

(EE)fglrx(0): Hasn't established DRM connection
    (EE)fglrx(0): Hasn't established DRM connection
    (EE)fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreeninit failed, GPS not been initialized.
    (EE)fglrx(0): Failed to map FB memory
    (EE)fglrx(0):firegl_SetSuspendResumeState Failed -9
    I just thought that I'd post that, just in case it's relevant.

I'm now going to update the system and we'll see if that straightens things out for me.

Thanks again.

Kirby
    We need to identify the sociopaths and psychotics in our society & remove them from their positions of power & influence over Humanity's evolution! Then we need to prevent these sick people from ever again having such lopsided powers over us. Me

Beans
    Distro

Thanks a tonne wilee-nilee.

Okay. I did just that and I get the following:
    I just thought that I'd post that, just in case it's relevant.

I'm now going to update the system and we'll see if that straightens things out for me.

Thanks again.

Kirby
    I suspect the fglrx is the problem, only based on seeing a few posts about this, posting the errors though is an excellent idea.

Run this command it will identify the actual card and post it as well,
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I suspect the fglrx is the problem, only based on seeing a few posts about this, posting the errors though is an excellent idea.

Run this command it will identify the actual card and post it as well,
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    The result of the code:
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9714
    And the result of updating my system was just one package:
    x11-server-utils
    So I don't know if that solved the problem or not, but I'm going to restart right now and find out.

Thanks again.

Kirby

P.S. How does a person get the grub screen to always show before booting? I've got that behavior on my old system, and I really miss it. I thought I did it with Bootup Manager, but the one I have installed doesn't appear to have that option.
    We need to identify the sociopaths and psychotics in our society & remove them from their positions of power & influence over Humanity's evolution! Then we need to prevent these sick people from ever again having such lopsided powers over us. Me

Beans
    Distro

I think that update probably set you up that is where the problem is basically.

Look at this thread and the grub customizer, I think the customizer will allow a reset to show the menu.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

drs305 is the guy amongst others for this area in expertise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for all the help! I really, really appreciate it.

Okay, she rebooted without any problems, so that must have fixed it. I guarantee that the next time I have an issue like this, I'll remember to update the system the first time I get to the desktop.

Now for the strange part:
    the first thing I noticed when I got in, was that the ATI driver is still installed. What's so strange about that, is that when I first got into the system, via the recovery mode, the first thing I checked, was if that driver was still installed. According to the hardware jockey, it wasn't, so I'm a little stumped on that one. Is there a better way to check? And is there a better way to uninstall these drivers? Or is the Hardware jockey the best way?

One more question, while I'm at it. Are we supposed to run a command after messing with the drivers (like "sudo update-initramfs" or something)?

See, I could have sworn that I'd removed that driver before the you know what hit the fan. But then again, maybe I'm not remembering things right.

Thanks again.

Kirby

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think that update probably set you up that is where the problem is basically.

Look at this thread and the grub customizer, I think the customizer will allow a reset to show the menu.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

drs305 is the guy amongst others for this area in expertise.
    Thanks again man. You are awesome!

Kirby

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for all the help! I really, really appreciate it.

Okay, she rebooted without any problems, so that must have fixed it. I guarantee that the next time I have an issue like this, I'll remember to update the system the first time I get to the desktop.

Now for the strange part:
    the first thing I noticed when I got in, was that the ATI driver is still installed. What's so strange about that, is that when I first got into the system, via the recovery mode, the first thing I checked, was if that driver was still installed. According to the hardware jockey, it wasn't, so I'm a little stumped on that one. Is there a better way to check? And is there a better way to uninstall these drivers? Or is the Hardware jockey the best way?

One more question, while I'm at it. Are we supposed to run a command after messing with the drivers (like "sudo update-initramfs" or something)?

See, I could have sworn that I'd removed that driver before the you know what hit the fan. But then again, maybe I'm not remembering things right.

Thanks again.

Kirby
    I really know nothing about graphic drivers, but know some of the symptoms, that is why I asked this in the first post. So as far as any extra commands when installing or removing I don't know. I did see on the web while looking for fglrx problems though mention of the proprietary and the genric versions portion. My guess is that you got some of the proprietary removed but not all, and the update saw what was needed, just a guess though.

I have been lucky that all my computers use the generic drivers all around and it is basically plug and play.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been lucky that all my computers use the generic drivers all around and it is basically plug and play.
    Well, I certainly see the merits in what your saying, as I've encountered a few issues with the proprietary drivers over the last year and a half that I've been using Ubuntu (it's been sooo nice to not be using Micro$oft). I suspect that the one Ubuntu installation that went bad on me, was caused by the proprietary drivers. Maybe coincidently, but that installations failure looked amazingly similar to the one that I just encountered here, and maybe, just maybe, I didn't give it enough time to eventually boot, but then again, it may have been a lost cause, because I did try removing the "quiet splash" and replacing it with nomodeset, but it still didn't boot. Luckily, I had an old backup of that system that has been running in my old system ever since. I've still got that old install, and one of these days, I might just give fixing it another go.

Anyhow, I just wanted to take the time to express my gratitude to you for helping me out. Thank you ever so much, a thousand times over. You are yet another example of the greatest specimens of humanity, that I've encountered again and again on these forums. My hats off to you all!

I can only hope that at some point, I'll become knowledgeable enough to be as helpful as all of you.

Thanks yet again.

Kirby

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12