Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash Button Made Crazy Graphics Error

Beans

Dash Button Made Crazy Graphics Error

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded to 13.04, but had a slew of problems so I created a bootable usb with 12.10 on it. Now it seems I STILL have issues. I love Linux but I'm about ready to smash the computer and say eff it.

What I've noticed, SO FAR, is when i hit the dash button to search for an app, my screen went absolutely nuts, and now my menu bar on the left is pixelated to the point it is unreadable.

So what happened? And how do i fix it?

I was running 12.04 for like a year and almost never had an issue. All of a sudden I upgrade and it's like everything went to ****, what's going on?

I have done a few small things like installing zram, jupiter, medibuntu and ubuntu restricted extras, and changed my swappiness. Does ANY of this have to do with the problems I'm having? Or is Ubuntu and their sub par releases?

So confused and frustrated

any and all help is greatly appreciated, I need my computer for work and it's close to useless for the past 3 days!!
    Last edited by Myst1234; May 9th, 2013 at 06:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Dash Button Made Crazy Graphics Error

Hi there,

Have you installed any proprietary display drivers? Or changed any settings using tools like CCSM (CompizConfig Settings Manager)?

If you have or haven't done any of the above, you can always try resetting unity...

Code:
    sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

dconf reset -f /org/compiz/

setsid unity

Does this graphics 'glitch' appear every time you are searching the Dash? Can you repeat it?
    Last edited by hil4vitkutin; May 8th, 2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Sorry for this ;P
    It's a kind of magic.

Beans

No proprietary drivers, just a typical b43-fwcutter install because affter the fresh install of 12.10, I had no wireless

Yes it happens everytime, although sometimes more violent than others.

Your command produced this -

E: Unable to locate package reset
    E: Unable to locate package /org/compiz
    E: Unable to locate package setsid

Beans
    Distro

Oh! Sorry I made a foolish mistake typing those commands there. They were supposed to be on their own lines, not on the same...

(The post is now *fixed*, pelase try the commands again, executed separately)
    Last edited by hil4vitkutin; May 8th, 2013 at 11:02 AM.

Beans

Ok, so uhh I have no idea how to even explain what happened when I entered

setsid unity

The terminal did a bunch of stuff, then started coming back with ERROR messages, then everything froze, and then (this is where it gets extremely strange) My screen went black, came back on with the messages of "stopping xxxx" like when you restart or shutdown your system, but it kept repeating "failed to idle on channel 1" then channel 2 and it kept repeating that, on top of the screen blacking out completely intermittently.

This happened for long enough to where I just shut off the laptop and restarted it manually.

Now that it is back on it keeps telling me there are system errors.

Beans

My graphics error has moved from the Dash Home button to basically everything. Not sure what to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

At this stage I would back up everything and do a clean install if possible... When you installed 12.10 from USB, did you check the image file for corruptions? If it was corrupted, that may well be the cause of these problems. Hope this helps

Beans

My USB has 12.10 on it from UNetbootin, I don't think it would be corrupted, but I guess I will try again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This should help you to check the image file for corruptions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Beans
    Distro

Yep, I would also recommend a clean install, as your system seems to have some "critical" errors... :/
    It's a kind of magic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast