Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radeon 9600 - Configuring X11 - r300g video driver - Ubuntu 10.10 powerpc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Radeon 9600 - Configuring X11 - r300g video driver - Ubuntu 10.10 powerpc

Hello every one here on the forums!

I am trying to set ubuntu up on my powermac g5 and I am having some trouble configuring X. When i boot Yaboot is fine and then i get a bit of splash then black

I tried just putting the following example of xorg.conf in the /etc/X11 but I still get a blank screen on boot. I think that is because the radeon-kms driver isn´t installed.
    http://mac.linux.be/content/xorgconf...nel-lucid-lynx

So i did a bit of googling and i found this documentation from Ubuntu.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

It suggested the r300g driver would work.

So I tried to purge the old driver by

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx
    but i don´t think the fglrx is the right driver on Ubuntu powerpc as it wouldn't purge! How can i find out what driver I am currently using or purge the driver without being specific?

Is it also possible to install the r300g through apt-get? I think that would be better for me as I am in a "bare bones" system. So would the code would be ;

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgl1- mesa-dri/lucid  libgl1-mesa-dri-dbg/lucid libgl1-mesa-glx/lucid  libgl1-mesa-glx-dbg/lucid libglu1-mesa/lucid  mesa-utils/lucid
    Which was taken from;

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/radeon

Is there any other configuration i need to do after that like reconfigure the xorg.conf file? What would be my best options for the xorg.conf? Any help on this would be hugely appreciated I've never configured X before, still a bit of a noob two years down the line!

Here´s some details of my set-up;

ATI Radeon 9600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV351
    Type: Display
    Bus: AGP
    Slot: SLOT-1
    VRAM (Total): 128 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x4150
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-A58504-113

Displays: Pennon PVHK-H0781A
    1780:
    Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Rotation: Supported
    Display Connector:

Many, many, many thanks

dc

Beans
    Distro

Re: Radeon 9600 - Configuring X11 - r300g video driver - Ubuntu 10.10 powerpc

I think I might have actually installed the wrong version ne way. Doh!

I think i just installed the 32mb version and i have a 64mb G5.

I Will re-install and re-post.

All the best.

dc.

Beans
    Distro

Realised that i may have pcked the wrong option whilst installing, gonna install the powerpc64 version again (just in case) and post back.

Beans
    Distro

So... I re-installed and I still get the black screen of death

Any sugestions would be great.

Many thanks.

dc

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Generally, it's this way:

To upgrade to the packages provided by Xorg-Edgers' PPA, including the "radeon" driver, run these commands:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

If you need/want to downgrade again, run those:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    Reboot/relogin after each of those operations.

But since you are supposedly running a PPC architecture, and the PPA only provides builds for i386 and AMD64, I'm not sure if you are able to install those packages at all.

However, since there seems to be no "powerpc64 version" of Ubuntu, you might be running the AMD64 version, and you might be able to install those packages.

Greetings.
    Last edited by Krytarik; April 8th, 2011 at 03:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Krytarik

I will certainly try that out once i have got my system back up.

I was mucking about with yaboot.conf to try and get macosx as my default option to boot and i might have corrupted my whole linux system!! Lots of error messages aboyut root dirs not existing and i get chucked in to initramfs shell. I reckon i might have to re install for the 3rd time!

Gonna make a new post for that topic as it is seperate i'll post a link here to it.

Once i get that fixed I''ll come back to this post to configure X.

Many thanks.

DC.

Beans
    Distro

Back up and running!

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:org-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Now all i get is a blank screen and i can't jump into command line by pressing ctrl+alt+f1!! I suppose i will have to purge and update using my live cd and start again.

Any other suggestions on how i can get X11 up and working would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

dc

Beans
    Distro

- Make sure that there is no xorg.conf.

- Check "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for related error messages, either by using a liveCD or the "recovery mode" boot option.

- If you want to downgrade the packages again, run the previously stated commands from "recovery mode -> root shell prompt with networking".

- Why do you want to upgrade the driver in the first place? Does the default driver not work?

Beans
    Distro

Okay so I purged the org-edgers ppa as it didn't seem to be workin. I didn't have a xorg.conf file when i installed btw (as i removed it before install).

Why do you want to upgrade the driver in the first place? Does the default driver not work?
    That's correct the video default driver does not work and I can't get X to configure correctly. I just get a black screen after splash. I ran YDL on my G5 and everything worked straight out of the box, but i didn't really dig the distro that much (I have had Linux mint and ubuntu on another box for just over a year now and i found YDL a lot clunkier).

Don't really know where to go from here, any suggestions are more than welcome.

dc

Beans
    Distro

Then there was actually no difference between the default driver and those of Xorg-Edgers? Why did you feel the need to downgrade them then?

How about this?:
    Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    - Check "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for related error messages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast