Thread: Unity problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unity problem

hi,

I installed unity on ubuntu 10.10. when it first starts there is no problem ... but when I hover over any window the mouse gets stuck or at least REALLY slow that I cant control it. (I noticed also the keyboard does the same)

some sites I searched suggested to remove unity application package and some other pack .. but it did not help.

I use ATI (propriety drivers) on a Toshiba Laptop
    intel core i3, 3GB ram

please note that I downloaded gnome3-shell to try it but the exact same thing happened as unity.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Unity problem

Maybe this will help:

when I open any window.. and resize it to small size .. the CPU usage will be 10% but if I make it big the CPU will go 70 to 100 !!

and the process which uses the cpu is X sever.

when I close the window it will go back to normal.

maybe mutter is the reason ?
    is it possible to replace mutter with compiz? although I tried that the screen goes empty !!!

Beans
    Distro

one more thing when I uninstall fglrx it works fine .. but I want to use fglrx !!!

Beans
    Distro

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unity isn't doing anything wonky with the video driver or xserver, so the problem is most likely Mutter, yes. Do you have any problems running Compiz under a Desktop Edition session? If not, just wait on using Unity until the 11.04 upgrade. It's a completely separate package and built on Compiz, rather than Mutter. (Unity in 10.10 will not run under Compiz.) I just checked, and fglrx is still supported in 11.04.

Edit: Rather critical typo.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; April 14th, 2011 at 06:12 AM.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro

Thanks,

actually I have no problem with compiz on gnome2. so I will wait for 11.04.

do you have any idea if gnome3 can run using compiz too? cause I have the same problem with gnome3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No, because Gnome 3 is also built on and heavily integrated with Mutter, unfortunately. It definitely sounds like Mutter is a no-go with your graphics card, but at least Unity shouldn't be a problem in 11.04.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro

well .. thanks for you reply .. I guess I am gonna keep using gnome2 until they find a solution with ATI and mutter hopefully.