Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which is the best torrent client

Beans

which is the best torrent client

I have been using u torrent in windows and i am not able to find a similar torrent client in ubuntu 10.10, i was using transmission bittorrent client, but it is not able to look for peers and seeds as utorrent does and even the download speed is very slow when compared to utorrent.
    Which is the best torrent client as powerful as utorrent?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: which is the best torrent client

Thread moved to "General Help"

Try Deluge, which you can install via Synaptic Package Manager or the Ubuntu Software Centre.

Beans

Have you tried rTorrent - run in commandline but it is very powerful torrent client on linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i am using 'Vuze'. its a nice program with a lot of features and a pleasant UI.
    in any torrent client, to get max speed you have to forward your ports properly. have you checked that? if not, visit http://portforward.com/ and follow the instructions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by jeshrel View Post
    I have been using u torrent in windows and i am not able to find a similar torrent client in ubuntu 10.10, i was using transmission bittorrent client, but it is not able to look for peers and seeds as utorrent does and even the download speed is very slow when compared to utorrent.
    Which is the best torrent client as powerful as utorrent?
    I would second Deluge a good choice; I think it's the best 'whole client' with a decent GUI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Install wine using the ubuntu software center. And run utorrent.

Utorrent is by far the best torrent client out there. I actually tested vuze and utorrent on my ubuntu 10.10.

In vuze, even after opening the ports that it needs (on ufw and my perimeter Gateway), and the torrent status shows green (green happy smiley face) I still can't go past 200 KB/s.

As for utorrent, I don't need to open any port at all! Yet, it manages not to only work, but it works with blazing speeds (over 800 KB/s,)

I actually tested both clients (vuze and utorrent)for the same torrent at the same time (on two ubuntu machines from the same connection). Utorrent is by far better.

If you check their site, they talk about their connection management technology and how it puts less stress on the internet pipe etc...but with more performance...it is true, as far as my tests show.

Moral of the story: install wine, and use utorrent.
    Last edited by newbuntuxx; April 7th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.

Beans

Chalk up another vote for Deluge.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For what it's worth, I use qBittorrent which looks good, is fast and also has a powerful and very useful search facility. You can get it from GetDeb.

Beans

how can i access utorrent through wine from ubuntu 10.10 ?
    Last edited by jeshrel; April 12th, 2011 at 07:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jeshrel View Post
    how can i access utorrent through wine in windows ?

you can't

another option is Ktorrent.

What is said above doens't make much sense to me. How can speed be limited? :-O I knwo utorrent in windows is light compared to others (or at leats it used to be when i started using it). But anyway plenty linux client torrents work just fine. If speed is maxed out then something is not set up correctly.

I have utorent on windows and i don't have it set for max speed. the reason is i still want part of my line open for other things and not clogged up with torrents.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast