Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada Team is Great but...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Canada Team is Great but...

Canada is huge! How does one begin the process of creating a loco team for Northern Ontario? For that matter, how would one go about creating a loco team for any region in Canada?
    See my point? Northern British Columbia is a far cry away from Labrador, with many points in between.
    All the world's a stage
    And all the men and women merely players

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Canada Team is Great but...

I've thought about this. Thing is, the provinces are pretty huge too. So I don't think you get a whole lot of benefit from having an Ontario team (or even a Northern Ontario team) instead of a Canada team.

Most LoCo teams around the world, no matter how big or small the geographical region, tend to be a group of people in one city doing stuff. If the Northern Ontario team was really a Sudbury team and we got an Alberta team in Calgary and a BC team in Prince George and an NB team in Fredericton, that'd be progress. But why can't we have those city teams working together as the Canada team? That's what I'd like to see.

If people want to start provincial teams, I have no problem with that. My yardstick as to whether it's necessary or desirable is if we're getting a lot of noise on the forum, mailing list or IRC channel that's irrelevant to most of the people there. We're... not there yet.

As to what you can do to start a team, just start doing stuff! Host an Ubuntu Hour in your town. Throw a release party! Get out and get people involved. I'd be happy to support you, as much as I can sitting way down here in Waterloo.

--
    Darcy Casselman
    LoCo Contact for Ubuntu Canada
    Last edited by flyingsquirrel625; April 14th, 2011 at 09:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsquirrel625 View Post
    I've thought about this. Thing is, the provinces are pretty huge too. So I don't think you get a whole lot of benefit from having an Ontario team (or even a Northern Ontario team) instead of a Canada team.

Most LoCo teams around the world, no matter how big or small the geographical region, tend to be a group of people in one city doing stuff. If the Northern Ontario team was really a Sudbury team and we got an Alberta team in Calgary and a BC team in Prince George and an NB team in Fredericton, that'd be progress. But why can't we have those city teams working together as the Canada team? That's what I'd like to see.

If people want to start provincial teams, I have no problem with that. My yardstick as to whether it's necessary or desirable is if we're getting a lot of noise on the forum, mailing list or IRC channel that's irrelevant to most of the people there. We're... not there yet.

As to what you can do to start a team, just start doing stuff! Host an Ubuntu Hour in your town. Throw a release party! Get out and get people involved. I'd be happy to support you, as much as I can sitting way down here in Waterloo.

--
    Darcy Casselman
    LoCo Contact for Ubuntu Canada
    Thanks! I'm thinking of starting small, doing an Ubuntu hour, to see where it will go.
    I'm also thinking of posting a message on Kijiji to see if I can find like-minded individuals (to meet at the Sudbury library, or something similar). I'm just sort of stuck on how to word it; I don't want to sound too formal, as that may throw some people off. However, I also don't want to come across as amateurish and do a disservice to Ubuntu.
    All the world's a stage

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by teejay17 View Post
    Thanks! I'm thinking of starting small, doing an Ubuntu hour, to see where it will go.
    I'm also thinking of posting a message on Kijiji to see if I can find like-minded individuals (to meet at the Sudbury library, or something similar). I'm just sort of stuck on how to word it; I don't want to sound too formal, as that may throw some people off. However, I also don't want to come across as amateurish and do a disservice to Ubuntu.
    That sounds great. Let us know how it goes.

I wouldn't worry too much about coming off as unprofessional. The idea is building a community. Definitely stick to the Code of Conduct, but I think enthusiasm, even amateur enthusiasm, will go a long way.

Also, as a LoCo, we're encouraged to list events in the LoCo directory here: http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-ca. It's pretty easy--you just need a launchpad account and use it to join the Ubuntu Canada team (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-ca). This isn't necessary by any means, but if I know these events are happening, I can publicize them on the Ubuntu Canada website (such as it is) and the Ubuntu Planet.

Darcy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by teejay17 View Post
    Canada is huge! How does one begin the process of creating a loco team for Northern Ontario? For that matter, how would one go about creating a loco team for any region in Canada?
    See my point? Northern British Columbia is a far cry away from Labrador, with many points in between.
    Northern Ontario here but a little north of you. Like Hornepayne. Would like one day to meet all the people from Northern Ontario in one spot.

Beans
    Distro

Start by bringing together Northern Ontario Ubuntu folks!

There are a couple here, a few on IRC (#ubuntu-ca on Freenode), one or two on the mailing list. I'm sure there are many more lurking out there currently unconnected to the rest of the community.

Getting people together over a huge geographical area is hard (it's hard even here in Southern Ontario, but maybe it's possible to get people to come together for a release parties parties. It just takes someone to organize the first one and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro

Start by bringing together Northern Ontario Ubuntu folks!

There are a couple here, a few on IRC (#ubuntu-ca on Freenode), one or two on the mailing list. I'm sure there are many more lurking out there currently unconnected to the rest of the community.

Getting people together over a huge geographical area is hard (it's hard even here in Southern Ontario, but maybe it's possible to get people to come together for a release parties parties. It just takes someone to organize the first one and see what happens.
    That's a great idea. Perhaps the "word" can get out and the Northern Ontario folks can stop by this thread to touch base/start planning.
    It would be great to have a little launch party organized for the release of 12.04.
    All the world's a stage

Beans
    Distro

Great idea. I'll start sending out messages to the various lists and groups.

Three simple questions:
    • Where are you?
    • Are you willing to host a party (at a fine local establishment, or perhaps at your home if you think people are cool with that)?
    • How far would you be willing to travel for a release party?

Beans

12.04 release party. Sounds like fun!

Beans
    Distro

Great idea. I'll start sending out messages to the various lists and groups.

Three simple questions:
    • Where are you?
    • Are you willing to host a party (at a fine local establishment, or perhaps at your home if you think people are cool with that)?
    • How far would you be willing to travel for a release party?
    I'm in Sudbury, so that's sort of "central" northeastern Ontario. I wouldn't have a problem traveling to North Bay if more people were in that neck of the woods; it isn't that far.
    As far as a location goes, there are a lot of good establishments in Sudbury, especially of the local, non-chain variety. I would love to host a party at my place if it wasn't so cramped; I also have cats, so that could be a problem for some.
    All the world's a stage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast