Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome3 PPA is getting ready

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Gnome3 PPA is getting ready

Bmbaker, thanks. I do also use ati but, unlike you, screen's flickering anytime i launch a game or, an extra icon is opening on the desktop. Also my unity interface is completely broken meaning i can't login to it. I do have kde also installed and that's what i use now. Seems to work slightly better than gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by philnice View Post
    Bmbaker, thanks. I do also use ati but, unlike you, screen's flickering anytime i launch a game or, an extra icon is opening on the desktop. Also my unity interface is completely broken meaning i can't login to it. I do have kde also installed and that's what i use now. Seems to work slightly better than gnome.
    unfortunatly at this moment ubuntu doesn't support gnome-shell, so if your wanting to use the gnome-shell, unity and ubuntu desktop will not work!
    and also gnome-shell is really still being developed so it will need tweaking to get it fully functioning.
    perhaps you should try building it from git using jhbuild as posted
    HTML Code:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/install-gnome-shell-from-git-in-ubuntu.html
    then it will run indepentant of unity etc

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bmbaker View Post
    unfortunatly at this moment ubuntu doesn't support gnome-shell, so if your wanting to use the gnome-shell, unity and ubuntu desktop will not work!
    and also gnome-shell is really still being developed so it will need tweaking to get it fully functioning.
    perhaps you should try building it from git using jhbuild as posted
    HTML Code:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/install-gnome-shell-from-git-in-ubuntu.html
    then it will run indepentant of unity etc
    Even if i do that, it won't work i think, because my current natty installation is broken after the distro upgrade to gnome. I could see the errors in terminal during installation.
    So, i need a clean natty install first. Then, i would propably go with this, http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/
    since it seems to be the safest way.
    My only problem is that i have to keep my current cfgs, apps, etc and that would be a pain.... Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Some people who have tried UGR, reporting that it worked pretty well for them:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742343&page=8

Beans
    Distro

After the last round of updates that included Nautilus 3.0 I can no longer launch Nautilus from the favorites sidebar? It also does not run from a terminal unless I am root? It does launch from a folder link on my desktop. I have tried deleting the link in the favorites bar and creating a new from a open window but it still does not launch? Please help!

Gary

Beans
    Distro

which ppa are you using?
    the ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
    is nautilus 1:3.0.0-0ubuntu1~build4
    and i see no problems with it!

Beans
    Distro

I am using the same ppa on two different machines and both have the same problem. One was an upgrade the other a clean install. Both are buggy, from Nvidia driver issues, themes, background and desktop display, number lock and keyboard issues. I have also tried the Fedora 15 and at first found it slow but the updates have brought it up to speed and it so far has none of the bugs (on the same machine that has a clean install of natty + gnome3)! I would love to resolve these issues but may be switching to Fedora if I cant. I have used Ubuntu gnome and xfce since 6.0 and this latest release has more issues then any of the previous. I know some of it is my own fault as I did not like unity but do love gnome3. I am looking for a way to get a clean version of the two combined but the closest I see to date is Fedora!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gwoodruff View Post
    I am using the same ppa on two different machines and both have the same problem. One was an upgrade the other a clean install. Both are buggy, from Nvidia driver issues, themes, background and desktop display, number lock and keyboard issues. I have also tried the Fedora 15 and at first found it slow but the updates have brought it up to speed and it so far has none of the bugs (on the same machine that has a clean install of natty + gnome3)! I would love to resolve these issues but may be switching to Fedora if I cant. I have used Ubuntu gnome and xfce since 6.0 and this latest release has more issues then any of the previous. I know some of it is my own fault as I did not like unity but do love gnome3. I am looking for a way to get a clean version of the two combined but the closest I see to date is Fedora!
    hmmm try adding ppa:ricotz/testing
    i have had no breakages and really no problems

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gwoodruff View Post
    The Gnome 3 PPA for Ubuntu is currently incomplete and what is there is outdated. Fedora has the latest Gnome 3.0.1 with quite a lot of fixes and will have 3.0.2 by the end of the month.

I expect Ubuntu will catch up eventually but right now it's fairly broken (from certain System Settings not working, no flash in Epiphany, etc...). It works the smoothest in Fedora right now.

Beans
    Distro

I have suse, fedora and ubuntu, the network connecting died on fedora and I can't get it going, got tired of ubuntu and purged it back, and suse is just there to see how far it goes, its really faster on upgrades then fedora was !

Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast