Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nvidia, Unity, glxinfo couldn't find RGB GLX visual

Beans

Re: Nvidia, Unity, glxinfo couldn't find RGB GLX visual

Thanks, deceaseddolphin, this line seems to have helped also to me.

Beans

Great solution. Thanks for posting this!

Beans

he problem is that when u remove the nvidia drivers.. the files in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/ are removed... but if you reinstall the intel driver it will copy the files back again and everything will be fine!

$ sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-intel

$ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

http://askubuntu.com/questions/87149...em/95441#95441
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/67808...timus-notebook

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deceaseddolphin View Post
    "sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-swrast"
    thanks! due to your post I found the package I needed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-swx11
    (I installed this because it provided the libgl1-mesa-swrast and because I haven't found the libgl1-mesa-swrast in the repo. However, the game runs very slow, maybe I need to install other packages :/ )

Beans

(I installed this because it provided the libgl1-mesa-swrast and because I haven't found the libgl1-mesa-swrast in the repo. However, the game runs very slow, maybe I need to install other packages :/ )
    That's because libgl1-mesa-swrast is an OpenGL software rasterizer, i.e., its using your CPU instead of your GPU, so it's much slower. It's not really a solution.

It's possible to simultaneously have the Mesa OpenGL lib and your graphic driver OpenGL lib. You have to make sure that your graphic driver OpenGL lib takes priority, so that when you run
    Code:
    ldd /usr/bin/glxinfo
    , you get something like:

Code:
    libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/nvidia-current/libGL.so.1
    and not something like:

Code:
    libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1
    You can do this configuring your ld paths or by changing your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so that your graphics driver OpenGL lib takes priority. More info here:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Librar...libraries.html

Beans

Question Re: Nvidia, Unity, glxinfo couldn't find RGB GLX visual

I have arrived here hoping your solutions would help - after hours of scouring the net - only to find this didnt work either. I installed Google Earth - which I had installed and working fine on last system install - but now (fresh 12.04) it doesnt work - due to missing GLX (glxinfo: Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0"). Glx works with mesa (after I purge nvidia drivers) but it doesnt render planet Earth except for country lines, all else invisible.. And very slow.. I tried Moses' solution to no avail; that is, after installing latest nvidia-current, Google Earth splashes then nothing, clearly refusing to start due to missing GLX.. Had trouble finding the GL.so.1 and 1.2 files which were in a different dir to Moses' entry. rm them then ldconfig, no effect. Unity menu, and Cairo-dock both work fine except for Google Earth.. which I enjoy exploring. It may be the latest nvidia drivers or latest GE, or both, I cant quite figure out. I am no expert Linux user but have used it for 2 years now and am very happy with it. Any suggestions are welcome. Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12