Thread: asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB 3.0

Beans

asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB 3.0

Hey all,

I have the above mentioned MB, and am curious about how to get the drivers and such updated. There are so many sites that I have been researching for today, and they all lead to "buy our software" crap.

Asus website was useless and kept leading me to 404 error. Im copying the dvd that came with the MB and am going to try and install via Wine...we will see.

Unless someone else has an idea, Ill go forth and make my way with this plan.

Ty

Sean

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB 3.0

Hello srlake314

I'm assuming that you're talking about the drivers for the onboard graphics (hd 4290). Yes?

If so, the drivers that are supplied from the Ubuntu repositories are indeed out of date, but the most up to date drivers can be found at the ATI/AMD website.

I'm not sure if there are newer ones than those found at that link, but that should give you a good starting point.

Good luck.

Kirby

P.S. If you are using Firefox, may I suggest that you install the "WOT" add-on (it stands for "web of trust"). It will help you avoid all the scam websites, that is if you are using Google, or Ixquick's search engines. Just look for the results that have a green circular icon next to them. Any other colored icon are best to be avoided. I hope that helps you as much as it has me (I love it).
    We need to identify the sociopaths and psychotics in our society & remove them from their positions of power & influence over Humanity's evolution! Then we need to prevent these sick people from ever again having such lopsided powers over us. Me

Beans

Thank you for responding. I couldnt find any updates other than the catalyst for my ATI card(hd5770), which is a whole other issue. No one can tell me how to get the card to work properly. It screws up Ubuntu Studio if it's activated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

According to the AMD Catalyst™ 11.3 Release Notes, Our onboard graphics (Radeon HD 4290) are supported by this driver (this is the one that I previously mentioned).

We're still waiting for Canonical to upgrade/update the drivers for us, before we take the leap to the proper proprietary drivers, as that way, the drivers will be dealt with automatically when updating is required.

Until then, we're still using the open source drivers, which have been good enough for compiz and the few games that we play (Warzone2100, Neverputt, Neverball, and UFO: AI).

I hope that helps you somewhat, but, if your unsure, remember to read the instructions for installing the drivers very carefully, and everything should work out alright.

Best of luck to you, and be sure to post your progress for everyone else's benefit.

Kirby

P.S. Did you try out WOT?
    We need to identify the sociopaths and psychotics in our society & remove them from their positions of power & influence over Humanity's evolution! Then we need to prevent these sick people from ever again having such lopsided powers over us. Me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

On second thought, if you need further help with this issue, you might get better assistance if you were to post your questions in the "General Help" section. From my previous experience, this type of hardware assistance might be more successful from there (might also be wise to select "Ubuntu", rather than "Ubuntu Studio" as the prefix, just to get more interested parties to take a look).

Again, for our reference, please do post your experience back here.

Kirby

Beans

Hey KirB

I gave up on Ubuntu period. I just couldnt stand things not working. Too much troubleshooting. I never could get the vid card to work correctly.

Thank you for your help though.

I just installed window 7. Now everything works just fine and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by srlake314 View Post
    Hey KirB

I gave up on Ubuntu period. I just couldnt stand things not working. Too much troubleshooting. I never could get the vid card to work correctly.

Thank you for your help though.

I just installed window 7. Now everything works just fine and beyond.
    W0W! That's really sad to hear.

I'm positive, that if you were a little bit more persistent, you would have ended up with a much, much more positive experience, that would have been way more rewarding than the experience you're going to have with Window$ 7.

Either way, I wish you all the best.

Kirby

P.S. We'll still be here to help you when you've had enough of shoveling money into that super wealthy monopoly, that never has, and never will believe in any form of freedom.
    Last edited by Kir_B; April 24th, 2011 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Additional words needed