Thread: Unity seems slower than Gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unity seems slower than Gnome

Hello everyone!
    I'm really new to Ubuntu and Linux in general, and I chose Ubuntu for my HP Mini 110 netbook because it offered a netbook version and it seemed cool at that time.

Now I have a question though...I noticed that when I log in with the Netbook Remix interface (Unity) the response seems slower, I mean, browsing and opening folders seems to take more time than when I use the standard Ubuntu 10.10 interface (Gnome).
    Is it possible that a version destined to netbook uses a desktop environment that requires a more performing computer? Or maybe something went wrong during my installation?
    Anyone else noticed anything similar?

Results: I never use the Netbook Remix desktop but I'm still my Ubuntu experience!

PS: I don't even like how Unity is organized..but that's just about taste

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity seems slower than Gnome

Maybe you should try the regular ubuntu desktop. If you want something lighter, try Lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, in fact I'm logging in with the regular desktop, the problem is that sometimes the gnome windows are too "tall" and I can't strech them enough to see the buttons at the bottom (cancel, close, and so on) and consequently I'm afraid that with another distribution I could have the same problem...

For the moment I use the regular desktop and I log in with the netbook remix one only when I can't do something because of the prolem I mentioned before..

I'm just wondering if it's normal that a "netbook version" requires a more powerful pc to run than the regular one

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

AFAIK, the standard Unity shell requires 3d acceleration and has more desktop effects than plain Gnome, which would explain slower performance. On my first VirtualBox Natty Beta tryout, I didn't get it to run at all. There seems to be an Unity 2d on the way, which might be easier on your netbook.
    I think the main purpose of netboot remix distros is to provide a desktop interface suitable for small screens/touch devices (cf. your problems with the regular gnome layout) and a software selection customised for 'fun machines'. 3D eye candy has become so much of a standard that it's often a default option regardless of performance issues.
    As wolfen69 suggested, Lubuntu should have a netbook interface included in the desktop edition. If you want something less purist, you can try Kubuntu's netbook remix. The Plasma desktop is 3d by default, but you can switch all effects on and off via hotkey.
    Last edited by rosencrantz; April 5th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you very much for the detailed answer!
    I guess I'll give Unity 2D a shot, and if not satisfied I'll try Lubuntu!

Thank you all

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Here's a PPA for that.
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/unity-2d-gets-a-ppa/
    replace unity-qt-default-settings with
    unity-2d-default-settings in the howto.
    Last edited by rosencrantz; April 6th, 2011 at 05:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have similar feeling. Ubuntu 10.10 used to take less time in booting than 11.04 beta. Again this is my feeling, may not be true, but I felt like that.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rosencrantz View Post
    Here's a PPA for that.
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/unity-2d-gets-a-ppa/
    replace unity-qt-default-settings with
    unity-2d-default-settings in the howto.
    Thank you again! the installation of Unity 2D is really easy!
    I'm using it now and it is sensibly faster than the regular Netbook Remix desktop, but I have to say that it is a bit bugged and that I can't take the "workspaces" icon off the launcher panel on the left even if I don't use it.

I'll keep using it because I need my netbook just for basic stuff..but it's not the definitive solution...
    thank you again!