Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vuscan 9 x64 and Unity problem

Beans

Re: Vuscan 9 x64 and Unity problem

OK, here is another workaround, although not very good.

Log in to an Ubuntu Classic session. Open the Compiz Configuration Settings Manager (CCSM) and select the Window Decoration plugin. Replace the "Command", which defaults to '/usr/bin/compiz-decorator' with '/usr/bin/metacity --replace'

Close the CCSM, log out then log in again to the Ubuntu Classic session. Vuescan 64bit (now at version 9.0.31) should start normally. This is now pretty much the same as the Maverick (Ubu 10.10) desktop.

I think the only way to actually be able to use Vuescan version 9.x.xx in the full blown Unity interface of Ubu 11.04 would be to put together a launch script that turned Compiz Window Decorations OFF, launched Vuescan, then turned Compiz Window Decorations ON again. This does work manually. The script would probably have to pass the appropriate messages to Compiz via the Dbus, but I don't know how to do this in a script.
    Last edited by myoldhouse; April 14th, 2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: fix typos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I can start Vuescan nromally in natty without proprietary drivers. I need a workaround in both natty installs with proprietary drivers (ATI, nVidia).
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

VueScan x64 9.0.28 works on Kubuntu Natty. So its obviously a Unity/Compiz issue. Wanted to make sure its not distro related.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

Thanks for that confirmation. I'm going to wait for the final release of Natty before I file a bug on this or raise the issue with the author Ed Hamrick.

I am beginning to think that Vuescan is the culprit. Earlier 32 bit versions of Vuescan (v 8.6.66 and v 8.5.41) from the Vuescan website work OK in Unity with no window decoration or start up issues. Vuescan 9.0.xx (32bit) throws out all kinds of errors and Vuescan 9.0.xx (64bit) has the window decoration problem.

Update - November 7, 2011:

Vuescan 9.0.61 x64 (released Nov 3, 2011) finally fixed this bug with Epson scanners, Unity, Compiz and window decorations on x64 systems. It was a problem with Vuescan not Unity as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by myoldhouse; November 9th, 2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Mark as solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12