Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Can't open hard drive partitions from places menu.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Beans
    18
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Can't open hard drive partitions from places menu.

    Ubuntu 10.10
    I would like to access the partitions of my hard drive from the Places menu. They show up there, but when I click them, the menu just closes. I can access them by navigating Places>Computer>"Drive_Name" but it would be more convenient. I was able to access them before, but something has apparently changed..

    Thanks in advance for the help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Can't open hard drive partitions from places menu.

    Sorry you're having problems.

    Sometimes Nautilus messes up and needs to be restarted. If you open a terminal, type
    Code:
    nautilus -q
    and retry.
    If that doesn't work, try logging in and logging back out.
    When helping other users, I will always suggest a GUI solution first.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Beans
    18
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can't open hard drive partitions from places menu.

    Quote Originally Posted by 311005901 View Post
    Sorry you're having problems.

    Sometimes Nautilus messes up and needs to be restarted. If you open a terminal, type
    Code:
    nautilus -q
    and retry.
    If that doesn't work, try logging in and logging back out.
    No luck..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Can't open hard drive partitions from places menu.

    I would suggest deleting your .nautilus file under /home/USER/.nautilus .

    This clears out the cache and it will rebuild automatically.
    When helping other users, I will always suggest a GUI solution first.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Beans
    18
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can't open hard drive partitions from places menu.

    Quote Originally Posted by 311005901 View Post
    I would suggest deleting your .nautilus file under /home/USER/.nautilus .

    This clears out the cache and it will rebuild automatically.
    I deleted it, logged out and back in, but it doesn't work. .nautilus showed back up, but it shows up as an empty directory.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Can't open hard drive partitions from places menu.

    Don't worry about your .nautilus folder being empty. It will fill up with stuff after you use Nautilus for a while.

    Are you using the most recent version of Nautilus? Have you updated in a while?
    When helping other users, I will always suggest a GUI solution first.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Beans
    18
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can't open hard drive partitions from places menu.

    Quote Originally Posted by 311005901 View Post
    Don't worry about your .nautilus folder being empty. It will fill up with stuff after you use Nautilus for a while.

    Are you using the most recent version of Nautilus? Have you updated in a while?
    Would that be accomplished through the Update Manager or through Terminal? Update Manager says I'm up to date.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Beans
    18
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can't open hard drive partitions from places menu.

    I just discovered that all of the locations in the Places menu (excluding Computer) are inaccessible, not just hard drive partitions. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Beans
    18
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can't open hard drive partitions from places menu.

    Upgraded to 11.04. Everything works now.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •