Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 11.04 Beta Live-USB

Beans

Re: 11.04 Beta Live-USB

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    But I do not understand in the script it reports above error on sda2. It shows the sda3 as NTFS with the winload.exe but the GUID listing shows sda3 as a linux partition. I assume this is an issue in the script
    Actually, it's mostly an issue because some genius decided that Linux should use the same partition type code as Windows does under GPT. See the GPT type codes, and compare the Linux and Windows entries -- the Windows "Basic Data Partition" and Linux "Data Partition" use the same GUID. The Boot Info Script happens to report this type code as "Linux or Data," which is a bit deceptive. FWIW, GPT fdisk reports it as "Linux/Windows data" and libparted-based tools don't report partition type codes at all (a big problem with them, IMHO). I've forgotten what tools like OS X's gpt report this as.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    The first line of the boot script gives this
    Code:
    Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1248142232
    of the same hard drive for core.img, but core.img can not be found at this
    location.
    sector 1248142232 is in sda4, which would be correct, but /boot/grub/core.img is not appearing in sda4. That's odd.
    Actually, it's not odd. The computer uses EFI, not BIOS, which means, among other things, that the boot loader code in the MBR is ignored. Instead, EFI includes its own boot loader, which looks for secondary boot loader information in .efi files on the EFI System Partition (ESP). Chances are the GRUB code got installed to the MBR by mistake (by a bug in the Ubuntu installer or software update utility, which seems to be trying its hardest to misconfigure the computer as if it were BIOS-based). There might once have been a core.img file at that location, but it's been moved or overwritten, and now it's just irrelevant data. The Boot Info Script doesn't yet handle EFI booting information.

Avidanborisov,

At this point I recommend you do two things:

First, find out what's on the ESP. According to your /etc/fstab file, it should be mounted at /boot/efi. Look for GRUB files in there; perhaps your GRUB installation is using a grub.cfg file on the ESP rather than in /boot/grub, and your efforts to update GRUB only got the file in /boot/grub, or vice-versa. You should also look for any file that ends in .efi; Windows should have installed such a file when it installed itself, and that could be used in booting (see below). There's a chance that GRUB overwrote that file, but I'm hoping it didn't.

Second, if you can locate a Windows .efi file (boot.efi, windows.efi, or whatever), you can try adding it to GRUB's menu:

Code:
    menuentry "Windows" {
      chainloader (hd0,1)/efi/boot/boot.efi
    }
    You'll need to adjust the path to the file -- note that it's relative to the root of the ESP, so the above would be /boot/efi/efi/boot/boot.efi in Linux.

Make your changes to /etc/grub.d/40_custom and re-run update-grub. If that doesn't change your grub.cfg file (in /boot/grub or somewhere in the ESP), then make the changes there manually, too.

With any luck, this will get you closer to dual-booting.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for that info, srs5694.
    Things are getting clear as mud now It's all a bit much for my small brain.
    I think I'll leave GPT alone for as long as possible.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@Quackers

The issue is not gpt but with UEFI booting which was only on a few server motherboards a couple of years ago. Now Macs uses gpt & a part EFI & part UEFI for its boot, so motherboard manufacturers are releasing more BIOS that are UEFI.

I used gpt on a small drive and it works well. But I am using BIOS to boot. I used it on a USB flash drive and it works well. In looking at some other sites I saw that Arch Linux recommends gpt for all SSDs and that partitions be about 75% free. You just cannot use gpt with BIOS with windows.
    Last edited by oldfred; April 13th, 2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Correction not windows but Macs with efi & gpt
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks oldfred. Maybe not as scary as I thought then
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Actually, it's mostly an issue because some genius decided that Linux should use the same partition type code as Windows does under GPT. See the GPT type codes, and compare the Linux and Windows entries -- the Windows "Basic Data Partition" and Linux "Data Partition" use the same GUID. The Boot Info Script happens to report this type code as "Linux or Data," which is a bit deceptive. FWIW, GPT fdisk reports it as "Linux/Windows data" and libparted-based tools don't report partition type codes at all (a big problem with them, IMHO). I've forgotten what tools like OS X's gpt report this as.

Actually, it's not odd. The computer uses EFI, not BIOS, which means, among other things, that the boot loader code in the MBR is ignored. Instead, EFI includes its own boot loader, which looks for secondary boot loader information in .efi files on the EFI System Partition (ESP). Chances are the GRUB code got installed to the MBR by mistake (by a bug in the Ubuntu installer or software update utility, which seems to be trying its hardest to misconfigure the computer as if it were BIOS-based). There might once have been a core.img file at that location, but it's been moved or overwritten, and now it's just irrelevant data. The Boot Info Script doesn't yet handle EFI booting information.

Avidanborisov,

At this point I recommend you do two things:

First, find out what's on the ESP. According to your /etc/fstab file, it should be mounted at /boot/efi. Look for GRUB files in there; perhaps your GRUB installation is using a grub.cfg file on the ESP rather than in /boot/grub, and your efforts to update GRUB only got the file in /boot/grub, or vice-versa. You should also look for any file that ends in .efi; Windows should have installed such a file when it installed itself, and that could be used in booting (see below). There's a chance that GRUB overwrote that file, but I'm hoping it didn't.

Second, if you can locate a Windows .efi file (boot.efi, windows.efi, or whatever), you can try adding it to GRUB's menu:

Code:
    menuentry "Windows" {
      chainloader (hd0,1)/efi/boot/boot.efi
    }
    You'll need to adjust the path to the file -- note that it's relative to the root of the ESP, so the above would be /boot/efi/efi/boot/boot.efi in Linux.

Make your changes to /etc/grub.d/40_custom and re-run update-grub. If that doesn't change your grub.cfg file (in /boot/grub or somewhere in the ESP), then make the changes there manually, too.

With any luck, this will get you closer to dual-booting.
    Good News - I discovered that if I press ESC during the boot grub appears.
    Bad News - Windows 7 entry doesn't work. It just says something as "Invalid EFI path".
    Also, I looked in the EFI partition mounted in /boot/efi and windows boot files and efi files doesn't exist. I think grub completely overwrote that, there is just a folder named ubuntu and within there is grub.efi .
    Strange, but my UEFI BIOS (or how it is supposed to be named) still has a boot entry for "Windows Boot Manager" which doesn't actually exist.

Beans

Ok. There seems to be hell lot of confusion in this thread. I have dual-booted Windows 7 x64 Pro and Archlinux x86_64 (grub2) for about a year now in UEFI-GPT configuration. Assuming most of you know BIOS systems boot, I will describe how UEFI systems boot.

UEFI firmware has the ability to read MBR and GUID Partition tables as well as FAT 12/16/32 filesystems (Apple EFI additionally has HFS+ support and APM partition table support). UEFI firmware does not use any bootsector or embedded code in any part of disk (MBR or partition start etc.).

Every UEFI system requires >=100 MiB FAT32 EF00 (gdisk code) EFI SYSTEM PARTITION (I recommend atleast 200 MiB). This is not /boot partition which is different from EFISYS. This partition is compulsory for any UEFI system and it should be FAT 12/16/32 fs (FAT12 is restricted to floppy disks only).

Windows ISO Installer determines which firmware has been used for booting the ISO. If BIOS is used, MBR is supported. If UEFI then GPT is supported. Not vice-versa. Kind of idiotic (I know).

GParted (actually GNU Parted) very well supports GPT for about 2 years now. I recommend GNU Parted (libparted) >=2.3 .

Format the whole /dev/sda as GPT using gdisk. Create the EFI SYSTEM PARTITION, 1 Windows Partition NTFS any size you want, any number of Linux Data Partitions (use some random partition type GUID for all) of any size each. 1 Linux swap of size twice the size of installed RAM in the system.

The reason i told you to use random guid for linux partitions is that linux by default does not have its own basic data partition type defined (even haiku has it) so people started using the part-guid which Microsoft defined for Basic Data FAT/NTFS partitions as the part-guid for linux partitions as well. Linux kernel does not care about partition type guid for its data partitions. I use some crazy random key-strokes guid for my Archlinux /boot and '/' root fs.

The structure of ESP is that it mainly contains a /EFI dir inside which there are many subdirs which can be used by each vendor (http://www.uefi.org/specs/esp_registry). Windows installs the efi bootloader to (ESP)/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ which is identical to (WINDOWS_SYSTEM_PART)/boot/microsoft/ incase of BIOS systems.
    The dir mainly consists of bootmgfw.efi, bootmgr.efi, memtest.efi and 'bcd'. The files we need to bother about are bootmgfw.efi and bcd. 'bcd' is the menu file for bootmgr similar to grub.cfg for grub2. 'bootmgfw.efi' is analogous to grub.efi .

All linux distro installers (Ubuntu included) assume EFISYS partition to be mounted at /boot/efi. This should be done manually by the user before launching the installer.

For manual setup of grub2-efi in ESP follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...r_UEFI_systems (I wrote most of this). Do not follow http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnMacbook as it is mostly Mac specific.

When grub-install is run for UEFI systems, it sets up the (ESP)/EFI/<vendor name or grub> dir structure (ESP==/boot/efi in most linux systems), meaning if grub-install detects that ubuntu is running it will install grub2 at (ESP)/EFI/ubuntu/* , otherwise fallback to (ESP)/EFI/grub/*. I will assume (ESP)/EFI/grub for the below commands.

The grub2 modules and efi application is installed at (ESP)/EFI/grub/*.mod and (ESP)/EFI/grub/grub.efi . This application is portable and grub2 for the most part detect the prefix dir at runtime (see archwiki grub2 article for details).

Even if the ESP grub2 dir structure is setup, the firmware will not boot it since it has not been directed to launch the (ESP)/EFI/grub/grub.efi file as the default efi app. This thing is done by efibootmgr which is called internally by grub-install itself if it detetc efibootmgr in the system (`which efibootmgr`). You can also set it up separately using instructions at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...e_Boot_Manager.

Note: grub-install for uefi system does not take any device path at the end of command ie no 'grub-install /dev/sda'.

My /dev/sda is GPT

Code:
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.7.1

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
    Disk /dev/sda: 625142448 sectors, 298.1 GiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 625142414
    Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 33792359 sectors (16.1 GiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048          821247   400.0 MiB   EF00  EFI_SYSTEM_PART
       2          821248          823295   1024.0 KiB  EF02  BIOS_BOOT_GRUB2
       3          823296         1642495   400.0 MiB   FFFF  ARCHLINUX_x86_64_BOOT
       4         1642496        16322559   7.0 GiB     8200  ARCHLINUX_x86_64_SWAP
       5        17832150       112197959   45.0 GiB    0700  MS_WINDOWS_7_x86_64_PRO
       6       112197960       206563769   45.0 GiB    0700  DATA_3
       7       206563770       258179514   24.6 GiB    FFFF  ARCHLINUX_x86_64_ROOT
       8       290455200       457370549   79.6 GiB    0700  DATA_1
       9       457370550       625137344   80.0 GiB    0700  DATA_2
    The partition names are self explanatory. Notice the FFFF code for Archlinux Root and Boot partition (random part-type guid).

First create the partitios as described above. Install Windows 7 in UEFI_GPT mode. Then install Ubuntu, grub-efi-amd64 (I guess thats the ubuntu package name for grub2 x86_64-efi).
    Run grub-install and make grub.efi default using efibootmgr. The add the following to (ESP)/EFI/grub/grub.cfg (/EFI or /efi is immaterial since fat 12/16/32 is case-insensitive - does not use UTF-8 encoding)

Code:
    menuentry "Windows 7 UEFI" {
      search --file --no-floppy --set=root /efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
      chainloader (${root})/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    Windows UEFI booting is described clearly at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lof...ex.php/t186440 .

If you get black screen with a cursor problem while launching grub2, you need to compile grub2-efi with this patch https://github.com/skodabenz/Misc_Li...lignment.patch .
    Last edited by the-ridikulus-rat; April 14th, 2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: fat32 to fat 12/16/32

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by skodabenz View Post
    Ok. There seems to be hell lot of confusion in this thread. I have dual-booted Windows 7 x64 Pro and Archlinux x86_64 (grub2) for about a year now in UEFI-GPT configuration. Assuming most of you know BIOS systems boot, I will describe how UEFI systems boot.

UEFI firmware has the ability to read MBR and GUID Partition tables as well as FAT 12/16/32 filesystems (Apple EFI additionally has HFS+ support and APM partition table support). UEFI firmware does not use any bootsector or embedded code in any part of disk (MBR or partition start etc.).

Every UEFI system requires >=100 MiB FAT32 EF00 (gdisk code) EFI SYSTEM PARTITION (I recommend atleast 200 MiB). This is not /boot partition which is different from EFISYS. This partition is compulsory for any UEFI system and it should be FAT32.

Windows ISO Installer determines which firmware has been used for booting the ISO. If BIOS is used, MBR is supported. If UEFI then GPT is supported. Not vice-versa. Kind of idiotic (I know).

GParted (actually GNU Parted) very well supports GPT for about 2 years now. I recommend GNU Parted (libparted) >=2.3 .

Format the whole /dev/sda as GPT using gdisk. Create the EFI SYSTEM PARTITION, 1 Windows Partition NTFS any size you want, any number of Linux Data Partitions (use some random partition type GUID for all) of any size each. 1 Linux swap of size twice the size of installed RAM in the system.

The reason i told you to use random guid for linux partitions is that linux by default does not have its own basic data partition type defined (even haiku has it) so people started using the part-guid which Microsoft defined for Basic Data FAT/NTFS partitions as the part-guid for linux partitions as well. Linux kernel does not care about partition type guid for its data partitions. I use some crazy random key-strokes guid for my Archlinux /boot and '/' root fs.

The structure of ESP is that it mainly contains a /EFI dir inside which there are many subdirs which can be used by each vendor (http://www.uefi.org/specs/esp_registry). Windows installs the efi bootloader to (ESP)/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ which is identical to (WINDOWS_SYSTEM_PART)/boot/microsoft/ incase of BIOS systems.
    The dir mainly consists of bootmgfw.efi, bootmgr.efi, memtest.efi and 'bcd'. The files we need to bother about are bootmgfw.efi and bcd. 'bcd' is the menu file for bootmgr similar to grub.cfg for grub2. 'bootmgfw.efi' is analogous to grub.efi .

All linux distro installers (Ubuntu included) assume EFISYS partition to be mounted at /boot/efi. This should be done manually by the user before launching the installer.

For manual setup of grub2-efi in ESP follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...r_UEFI_systems (I wrote most of this). Do not follow http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnMacbook as it is mostly Mac specific.

When grub-install is run for UEFI systems, it sets up the (ESP)/EFI/<vendor name or grub> dir structure (ESP==/boot/efi in most linux systems), meaning if grub-install detects that ubuntu is running it will install grub2 at (ESP)/EFI/ubuntu/* , otherwise fallback to (ESP)/EFI/grub/*. I will assume (ESP)/EFI/grub for the below commands.

The grub2 modules and efi application is installed at (ESP)/EFI/grub/*.mod and (ESP)/EFI/grub/grub.efi . This application is portable and grub2 for the most part detect the prefix dir at runtime (see archwiki grub2 article for details).

Even if the ESP grub2 dir structure is setup, the firmware will not boot it since it has not been directed to launch the (ESP)/EFI/grub/grub.efi file as the default efi app. This thing is done by efibootmgr which is called internally by grub-install itself if it detetc efibootmgr in the system (`which efibootmgr`). You can also set it up separately using instructions at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...e_Boot_Manager.

Note: grub-install for uefi system does not take any device path at the end of command ie no 'grub-install /dev/sda'.

My /dev/sda is GPT

Code:
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.7.1

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
    Disk /dev/sda: 625142448 sectors, 298.1 GiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 625142414
    Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 33792359 sectors (16.1 GiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048          821247   400.0 MiB   EF00  EFI_SYSTEM_PART
       2          821248          823295   1024.0 KiB  EF02  BIOS_BOOT_GRUB2
       3          823296         1642495   400.0 MiB   FFFF  ARCHLINUX_x86_64_BOOT
       4         1642496        16322559   7.0 GiB     8200  ARCHLINUX_x86_64_SWAP
       5        17832150       112197959   45.0 GiB    0700  MS_WINDOWS_7_x86_64_PRO
       6       112197960       206563769   45.0 GiB    0700  DATA_3
       7       206563770       258179514   24.6 GiB    FFFF  ARCHLINUX_x86_64_ROOT
       8       290455200       457370549   79.6 GiB    0700  DATA_1
       9       457370550       625137344   80.0 GiB    0700  DATA_2
    The partition names are self explanatory. Notice the FFFF code for Archlinux Root and Boot partition (random part-type guid).

First create the partitios as described above. Install Windows 7 in UEFI_GPT mode. Then install Ubuntu, grub-efi-amd64 (I guess thats the ubuntu package name for grub2 x86_64-efi).
    Run grub-install and make grub.efi default using efibootmgr. The add the following to (ESP)/EFI/grub/grub.cfg (/EFI or /efi is immaterial since fat32 is case-insensitive - not UTF-8 encoding)

Code:
    }
    Windows UEFI booting is described clearly at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lof...ex.php/t186440 .

If you get black screen with a cursor problem while launching grub2, you need to compile grub2-efi with this patch https://github.com/skodabenz/Misc_Li...lignment.patch .
    Well I didn't really understand what you said so I will just explain what I did in the order I did it:

1. I inserted my windows 7 installer disk and it automatically understood that I have EFI-based system and it created me an EFI partition and a MSR reserved partition. I also created one more NTFS partition for Windows of course.
    Windows was installed and I had an "Windows Boot Manager" Entry in the BIOS (or UEFI, how you call it), and I was able to boot to Windows.
    2. I inserted my Ubuntu 11.04 live-usb, and created an en ext4 partition for Ubuntu from the unallocated space and SWAP partition. I launched the Ubuntu installer and I chose to configure everything manually. so I chose the ext4 partition to be the place for ubuntu, mounted as /, and I chose the EFI partition to be used as an EFI partition. UBuntu was installed, and I rebooted.
    3. In ubuntu I ran all the updates, installed NVIDIA drivers, and ran an partial upgrade but didn't reboot. From my last attempts, the updated removed my grub-efi and reinstalled grub-pc which I could not do with nothing. So I went to synaptic, removed grub-pc and reinstalled grub-efi which also installed grub-efi-amd64 and efibootmanager. and I did "sudo update-grub" which actually created entries for booting (from my previous attempts, not doing that will only leave me with a minimal grub bash).
    4. Restarted, grub was not even showing and I booted to my ubuntu automatically. Strange, so I decided to reboot again. This time I rebooted and kept pressing the ESC button. Now I saw GRUB. but, there was no entry for Windows 7. So I booted to Ubuntu again and tried editing the 40_custom file as srs5694 suggested but when I rebooted and selected Windows 7 entry, it said something as "invalid EFI path".
    5. I booted to ubuntu again and looked in the EFI partition mounted in /boot/efi. There was nothing with Windows boot files and efi files, just a folder named ubuntu and within grub.efi . Apparently GRUB overwrote completely Windows files. Now I really don't know what to do.
    If anyone is interested here is my grub.cfg:

Code:
    #
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
    #
    # It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
    # from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
    #

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
      set have_grubenv=true
      load_env
    fi
    set default="0"
    if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
      set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
      save_env saved_entry
      set prev_saved_entry=
      save_env prev_saved_entry
      set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
      if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
        saved_entry="${chosen}"
        save_env saved_entry
      fi
    }

function recordfail {
      set recordfail=1
      if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
    }

function load_video {
      insmod efi_gop
      insmod efi_uga
      insmod video_bochs
      insmod video_cirrus
    }

insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2
    set root='(/dev/sda,gpt4)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 933c39ef-92b5-4e7e-847d-a3e87494a2f0
    if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
      set gfxmode=auto
      load_video
      insmod gfxterm
    fi
    terminal_output gfxterm
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2
    set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
    set lang=en_US
    insmod gettext
    if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
      set timeout=-1
    else
      set timeout=10
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
    if background_color 44,0,30; then
      clear
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    if [ ${recordfail} != 1 ]; then
      if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
        if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
          if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
            set linux_gfx_mode=keep
          else
            set linux_gfx_mode=text
          fi
        else
          set linux_gfx_mode=text
        fi
      else
        set linux_gfx_mode=keep
      fi
    else
      set linux_gfx_mode=text
    fi
    export linux_gfx_mode
    if [ "$linux_gfx_mode" != "text" ]; then load_video; fi
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	recordfail
    	set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
    	insmod part_gpt
    	insmod ext2
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=933c39ef-92b5-4e7e-847d-a3e87494a2f0 ro   quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
    }
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	recordfail
    	insmod part_gpt
    	insmod ext2
    	echo	'Loading Linux 2.6.38-8-generic ...'
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=933c39ef-92b5-4e7e-847d-a3e87494a2f0 ro single 
    	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
    }
    submenu "Previous Linux versions" {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-7-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	recordfail
    	insmod part_gpt
    	insmod ext2
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-7-generic root=UUID=933c39ef-92b5-4e7e-847d-a3e87494a2f0 ro   quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-7-generic
    }
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-7-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	recordfail
    	insmod part_gpt
    	insmod ext2
    	echo	'Loading Linux 2.6.38-7-generic ...'
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-7-generic root=UUID=933c39ef-92b5-4e7e-847d-a3e87494a2f0 ro single 
    	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-7-generic
    }
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
    	insmod part_gpt
    	insmod ext2
    	linux16	/boot/memtest86+.bin
    }
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
    	insmod part_gpt
    	insmod ext2
    	linux16	/boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    if [ "x${timeout}" != "x-1" ]; then
      if keystatus; then
        if keystatus --shift; then
          set timeout=-1
        else
          set timeout=0
        fi
      else
        if sleep --interruptible 3 ; then
          set timeout=0
        fi
      fi
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry "Windows 7" {
        set root=(hd0,3)
        chainloader +1
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    if [ -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
      source $prefix/custom.cfg;
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@skodabenz
    Thank you for chiming in with some very useful info on UEFI booting which few if any of us here use or even have seen. It looks like boot script does not yet parse /efe/efi folders and look for .efi files. We rely on boot script for good info on how system is configured or mis-configured.

@Avidanborisov
    Your 40_custom entry is trying to directly boot your windows system partition - sda3. You need to change it to the way from skodabenz's post.
    Code:
    }
    It will be interesting to see if the windows repair CD works for efi. I would expect if it is the 64 bit version it should see your efi and correct the missing files in the efi partition.

Windows 7 Disc - for repairs only
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/window...-repair-discs/
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    @skodabenz
    Thank you for chiming in with some very useful info on UEFI booting which few if any of us here use or even have seen. It looks like boot script does not yet parse /efe/efi folders and look for .efi files. We rely on boot script for good info on how system is configured or mis-configured.

@Avidanborisov
    Your 40_custom entry is trying to directly boot your windows system partition - sda3. You need to change it to the way from skodabenz's post.
    Code:
    }
    It will be interesting to see if the windows repair CD works for efi. I would expect if it is the 64 bit version it should see your efi and correct the missing files in the efi partition.

Windows 7 Disc - for repairs only
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/window...-repair-discs/
    the suggestion cannot work because as I said, grub overwrote all windows efi and boot files.
    And I am afraid that if I will try to repair the EFI partition from windows, it will overwrite grub files. But maybe ill backup grub files and put them again after windows stopped repairing?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Avidanborisov View Post
    the suggestion cannot work because as I said, grub overwrote all windows efi and boot files.
    And I am afraid that if I will try to repair the EFI partition from windows, it will overwrite grub files. But maybe ill backup grub files and put them again after windows stopped repairing?
    I suspect ubuntu installer is formatting the selected efisys partition as fat32 and setting the type code, creating a fresh efisys partition, instead of reusing the existing efisys partition. I cant say for sure becausei dont use ubuntu currently. I will try the beta iso maybe this weekend.

Windows UEFI rescue does not overwrite grub2-efi files. I have personally checked that. But it will set bootmgfw.efi as the default efi app in the firmware so you wont be able to boot into grub2 directly without using an efi shell.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast