Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 11.04 Beta Live-USB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 11.04 Beta Live-USB

If you are having to press Esc to get to the grub menu, it seems that grub legacy is installed rather than grub2 (which uses the shift key for that purpose). Unless that's different too with your EFI system.
    How do you mean "disable it"?
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

It seems very unlikely that it's GRUB Legacy, since Avidanborisov said he installed it from source code following the instructions on this page, which is very much tied to GRUB 2 on a (U)EFI system. GRUB Legacy doesn't even support EFI, except for a modified version that's used by Fedora.

I don't know the answer to the latest question, but if I understand correctly, it's a very minor annoyance, all things considered. I'd declare triumph and move on to more important matters.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was under the impression that ESC was exclusively a legacy grub thing, until drs305 corrected me in another thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...35&postcount=5

Which is interesting.

As far as getting grub to show its menu on bootup rather than hiding it, I believe you have to edit one or more of the options in /etc/default/grub, but I've never really got my head around them. If it's of any help, this is part of my 11.04 /etc/default/grub that shows the menu:

Code:
    # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
    #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash quiet"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    Perhaps you'll be able to see where it differs from yours.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That is interesting coffeecat Thanks.

srs5694, I would consider it an absolute success, after what's been needed
    Thanks for all the info people! I'll be sending others to this thread in the future
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi
    Everything worked pretty great, just my ubuntu did recently an upgrade, and I forgot about everything. I rebooted and GRUB was broken (I got GRUB rescue).
    Good I backed up my EFI folder, but I tried to replace it and it just didn't work, I skipped to Windows bootloader because it was the second entry in the UEFI.
    Is there any way to fix it?

Since this forum is closed, please see that thread as the continue of the this thread
    Last edited by Avidanborisov; May 1st, 2011 at 04:45 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910