Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chromium or Midori?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Chromium or Midori?

Some time ag I installed a virtual machine with Sabayon using VirtualBox.The default browser of Sabayon is Midori.I was really dissatisfied-I found Midori absolutely rubbish.It was very slow,it had no home button(I didn't find the option to display it at Preferences) and I couldn't scroll the pages properly.I tried to install Chromium and Firefox but I simply couldn't do it on Sabayon,this OS has no Autorun Prompt or Archive Manager,unlike Ubuntu.My advice:use Ubuntu,that's a true operating system! And regarding the browser,my recommendation is Chrome or Chromium.
    Last edited by PCaddicted; April 15th, 2011 at 06:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would recommend chromium.

Its always best to have a browser that loads of people using it, as you can get help faster. Midori is not that used a lot, so its best to stick with Chromium. But no one says that you cant use both!

Linuxmaniack
    ATI radeon 3870 512 MB
    WD10EARS hard disk
    Gigabyte GA-MA77OT-UD3 with 4GB ram
    AMD Athlon II x4 640 Quad core

Beans
    Distro

Originally posted by Spyderkid:
    Chromium.

Or use GoogleChrome which is avaliable for linux

(I use google chrome)
    If Chrome is cross-platform,why did they make Chromium,which is the Linux counterpart of Chrome?I heard Chromium is the open-source version of Chrome,but I do not understand,they seem to be exactly the same browser!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

The browsers all have advantages and disadvantages, install the and see which one you prefer.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

midori seems nice but it doesn't render many pages correctly and many download links don't work. I use it in Fedora 14(KDE) but very often have to use knoqueror because Midori just doesn't work on many websites. konqueror is slightly better and it has an agent switching addon but sometimes neither work. My Fedora install is for testing and I use it to try different things so I deliberately don't install common browsers like firefox or Opera there.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you wanna use an alternative browser in Ubuntu, use Epiphany, it is the default Gnome browser. A little buggy, but fast.

Beans
    Distro

On my older system, Midori loads faster than Chromium and A LOT faster than Firefox. However, Midori doesn't support a few advanced internet functions (example: www.keepvid.com, online video downloading) so I use Chromium for anything involving flash or Java.

Beans
    Hidden!

chrome is super fast but i can't justify using it over firefox4. firefox has all the awesome plugins

Beans
    Distro

that's what makes it take so long to load on my system. However it is great for tech work because of all its extra custom functions.

Beans

Chrome/Chromium is better at compatibility than Midori. And memory management.
    Midori came a long way and i quite like it, but still has its rough edges.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast