Thread: MacBook Pro 8,1 With Ubuntu

Beans

Exclamation MacBook Pro 8,1 With Ubuntu

I just had to have my MacBook Pro 5,5 replaced, and they replaced it with the brand new 8,1. This is nice, except for the fact that I have now learned that I can't get the video or wireless drivers for this computer. I do not have any access to ethernet, and USB internet does not seem to work. Right now I have Ubuntu 10.04 32bit installed. The installation went fine, but I can't get any drivers. Is there any fix for this?

Here are the specs for this laptop:

Intel i5 Sandy Bridge 2.3GHz
    320Gig HDD partitioned
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU
    Airport Extreme Broadcom BCM43xx
    -NetXtreme BCM57765
    -Broadcam Corporation Device 4331

If ANYONE can help me I'd greatly appreciate it. Perhaps there's another distro I can use, or maybe another release that works somewhat? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    "Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it." -- Richard Dawkins

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 With Ubuntu

I have the same machine (upgraded from the 7,1) and this thread contains the latest developments on support:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...695746&page=20

This is the wiki page on this model of laptop:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty

From what I've seen they have everything but blue tooth and wireless

Beans

Re: MacBook Pro 8,1 With Ubuntu

Unfortunately, the wireless is exactly what I need! The house I live in is wireless and I don't have access to ethernet internet. It's very frustrating!
    "Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it." -- Richard Dawkins