Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11.04 no window manager, panels, unity or metacity

Beans

Re: 11.04 no window manager, panels, unity or metacity

I had this on an intel chipset. Ctrl-Alt-T pops up the terminal, Unity or Gnome-Panel can be run from there. It looks to be Unity not behaving that's causing the problem - certainly when I selected "Ubuntu Classic" it worked fine.

The first thing I did when I got it working was uninstall Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

well "compiz --replace" crashes natty and kills my login.
    So i dont know whats going on.
    The visual lag i am seeing even with the closed source binary nvidia driver enabled makes me feel like i am using gnome compositing and not compiz (gnome compositing is not enabled, i checked gconf) even though i recall gnome compositing being faster than this, frankly i havent seen this amount of trouble in an ubuntu beta since the 6.04/6.10 days
    If i remove unity i fear i will lose my panels, metacity and everything else.

Edit.
    I also have no windows preview available in compiz but with the whole unity thing i dont know if that typical or not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cor2y View Post
    well "compiz --replace" crashes natty and kills my login.
    So i dont know whats going on.
    The visual lag i am seeing even with the closed source binary nvidia driver enabled makes me feel like i am using gnome compositing and not compiz (gnome compositing is not enabled, i checked gconf) even though i recall gnome compositing being faster than this, frankly i havent seen this amount of trouble in an ubuntu beta since the 6.04/6.10 days
    If i remove unity i fear i will lose my panels, metacity and everything else.
    Seems to be working fine here. Try the classic desktop to see if that works, it'll tie the problem down to unity or something related to it.

Beans
    Distro

How do i enable classic mode?

Beans

If you've got no window manager at all, what I did was hit CTRL-ALT-T to pop up the terminal. I typed "gnome-panel" which brings up Gnome Panel (it'll be a bit messy as some bits of unity are loaded) and you can then click on the power button on the top right and select log out.

When you go to log in again there's a menu at the bottom of the screen from which you can select Ubuntu Classic.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the info

Beans
    Distro

So i launched it in classic mode and suddenly compiz and unity work together.
    Set it back to the default setting and i am back to square one with copiz crashing if i invoke "compiz --replace" and gnome using unity 2d (i discovered this by accident) which was why it was slow, if i remove unity 2d then in the default mode i get no panels/metacity on login.

Yeah i think this will be like the 2006, 11.04 and 11.10 are going to be the beta testing distros for 12.xx for the interface.

Beans

Sorry that I can't provide much, but have you tried edd=on or edd=off as boot options? I had no Unity, and this fixed it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12