Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elementary OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Elementary OS Info!

Quote Originally Posted by glossywhite View Post
    Okay, fair enough, but to put the fact on the site... seems redundant, and causes suspicion.
    True and I understand I was a little skeptical at first, but I am a distro hopper and went for it, and actually I am pretty satisfied! It runs pretty good, a wee but buggy, I won't lie, but will only get better with time!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by galacticaboy View Post
    ...A complete Linux Operating System based on Ubuntu that only includes the programs you need. Not the ones they think you may want...
    Except I don't need half the programs it comes with...

How is this different from Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: Elementary OS

What kernel version is it using? Could someone run "uname -r" for me. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

It is based off of Ubuntu 10.10 and the Kernel Version is 2.6.35-28-generic! Hope this helps!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ojdon View Post
    What kernel version is it using? Could someone run "uname -r" for me. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I just booted it up from a Live CD. I think it might be a bit too simple for my taste. I liked that it didn't come pre-installed with a bunch of stuff I never use, but I don't like the seeming lack of customization out of the box. Plus there's no music player, which is weird? I mean, I know you can install rhythmbox from the software center, but it seems like that's something that pretty much everyone uses.

It seems like a great option if you're looking for a slick, fast, bare bones system to surf the web and check email. I'm a tweaker so it kind of bugs me to not have all those options there if I want them out of the box. I think I'll stick with Ubuntu for now, but I'm really curious to see how this project progresses.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    Except I don't need half the programs it comes with...

How is this different from Ubuntu?

It is not really that different from Ubuntu. It is really an OS that is skinned and has fewer programs. You can install more from the software center. But this OS is perfect for me and it still lets me stay in the Ubuntu family! More will come in time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am using Elementary OS now. It looks nice and the splash screen is nice with the pulsing 'e'.

I like it but it does have a few issues, for example, opening a folder from "Places" other than the Home folder is unreliable. Sometimes it takes 3-4 clicks to open.

Beans

Do we need another Debian--->Deriv--->Deriv of Deriv?

I still admire you massively for having achieved this!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie03 View Post
    I am using Elementary OS now. It looks nice and the splash screen is nice with the pulsing 'e'.

I like it but it does have a few issues, for example, opening a folder from "Places" other than the Home folder is unreliable. Sometimes it takes 3-4 clicks to open.
    Yes Elementary OS is awesome! I am using it as my Primary OS now, there are some issues but like I am telling everyone, "It will only get better with time" especially when they officially open up the forums for it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jonbwilson View Post
    I just booted it up from a Live CD. I think it might be a bit too simple for my taste. I liked that it didn't come pre-installed with a bunch of stuff I never use, but I don't like the seeming lack of customization out of the box. Plus there's no music player, which is weird? I mean, I know you can install rhythmbox from the software center, but it seems like that's something that pretty much everyone uses.

It seems like a great option if you're looking for a slick, fast, bare bones system to surf the web and check email. I'm a tweaker so it kind of bugs me to not have all those options there if I want them out of the box. I think I'll stick with Ubuntu for now, but I'm really curious to see how this project progresses.
    I understand what you mean, I to was suprised by the lack of stuff and a media player. But when asked about it, Elementary basically said that they wanted to create a basic bare minimum Linux Distro based on Ubuntu, that only had basic programs that most people want. I understand that it is bare, and the lack of a music program was suprising since Elementary is working on their own music player, but like I am telling everyone, it will only get better in time. I am using it as my primary OS and I love it. It is not that customizable yet, but more things are coming! It is great and a great first attempt! Good job elementary!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast