Thread: Help: Icons, widgets, taskbar disappeared

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Help: Icons, widgets, taskbar disappeared

--> Lucid 10.04, KDE 4.5.3

Does anyone know how I can restore my desktop icons, widgets, taskbar, etc?

I had to hard reboot my laptop last night, and now when I log into KDE all I see is a default wallpaper and nothing else on the display. I have the mouse cursor and can still run any program (by using Krunner), it's just that my icons, widgets, taskbar, all disappeared.

As a test I changed my logout settings to always start a 'new session' instead of 'last session', but unfortunately that does not correct the problem.

I also did a top command and see that plasma-desktop and kwin are running, for what that is worth.

Do any of you linux gurus know how I can restore my system? How can the widgets including taskbar just disappear? I had never created any other workspaces, so don't know how I could be in a different workspace, but not sure if it's related to workspaces?

Thanks,
    Chris

Beans

Re: Help: Icons, widgets, taskbar disappeared

I've had the same problem in the last few days. I'm running the Gnome desktop, but the symptoms are exactly the same - I don't have Krunner but I can get part of my taskbar up by pressing ctrl-alt-esc, which enables me to run applications, but I haven't found a way of restoring minimised apps.
    It seems to me that it's the result of some or other update which occurred in the last few days.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help: Icons, widgets, taskbar disappeared

I was able to get around mine in KDE by creating a default panel again (which includes taskbar and most common widgets), then manually adding my desktop icons, wallpaper, etc. again. For me, it's like the KDE plasma desktop files got corrupted when I hard-reset my laptop.

I'm not sure if it would occur in Gnome too, but mine might have been related to my hard reset even though I had never really seen this before.

Can you just manually restore your taskbar, etc. in Gnome?

-Chris