Thread: lsyncd

Beans

Question lsyncd

I can't make lsyncd work between /home and /var/www.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 and lsyncd 2.0.4.

I tested lsyncd with two folders in my Documents directory and it worked fully (even with two daemons to give two-way sync).

I want to sync
    /home/lukejanicke/Websites/Development/follow
    to
    /var/www/follow

The Terminal command to start the daemon is:
    Code:
    lsyncd -rsync /home/lukejanicke/Websites/Development/follow/ /var/www/follow/
    When I run this command, the folders are sync'd once but any changes made thereafter are not sync'd.

Can anyone help?
    Last edited by lukejanicke; April 1st, 2011 at 04:10 PM.

Beans

Re: lsyncd

Hi!

This is how i would use LSYNCD

* Create a file "lsyncd.conf" (or any name u like) with the following:

Code:
    settings = {
       logfile    = "/var/tmp/lsyncd.log",
       statusFile = "/var/tmp/lsyncd.status",
       nodaemon   = true,
    }

sync{default.rsync, source="/home/lukejanicke/Websites/Development/follow/", target="/var/www/follow", rsyncOps="-ltusv", delay=1}
    (The setting array defines where to write log and status, and it also says not to use LSYNCD as DAEMON, but if u intend to sync al the time, it may be better to set to TRUE).

(The sync array, defines source and target, also RSYNC options and delay before syncing in seconds).

* Then u just run lsyncd with:
    Code:
    lsyncd lsyncd.config
    Hope this helps!

Beans

Thanks! That works perfectly.

I think it was the
    Code:
    rsyncOps="-ltusv", delay=1
    bit that made the difference. I don't understand those options. I better read the manual again.

Beans

Is your case a two-way operation or a one-way?

If its a two-way "-u" from the rsyncOps makes a difference, but alone is not yet a clear solution. Use a --temp-dir=DIR with two different dirs for both daemons.

If its one-way, nothing in the config file should make a difference to the command line. Except it sets the delay from 15 seconds down to 1 second. Maybe you looked a little to early in the target directory?

If its one way, and after a minute the files are still not in the target, please log it with providing "-log all" and paste the log file.

Beans

In my example, i use it to sync to a frontend that may have cached data that i dont want to overwrite (if its new), so "-u" is only useful in a two way or any other special situations u r right.
    Quote Originally Posted by axkibe View Post
    If its a two-way "-u" from the rsyncOps makes a difference

Beans

I too had a little trouble getting lsyncd to work butin the end, it's great! I sync one-way between a local server and remote PC using a 5 second delay (lsyncd --delay 5).

However, my problem now is that lsyncd does not automatically start if the server reboots. I need lsyncd to start automatically also using the --delay 5 option.

I've had trouble finding any info on this other that some Japanese sites (I cant read japanese) using chkconfig, although didn't work as I think chkconfig is depreciated anyway.

I'm sing Ubuntu server 10.10, any help would be appreciated.... I'm not a linux guru but get by with the basics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Seems this thread should be marked as solved?

Anyways, just wanted to say that I too have gotten this combination of lsyncd and rsync to do instant backups of my data to another computer and it's working really well. I look forward to some genius brining it all together into a gui and touting it as a real, local/LAN Dropbox-like solution. Really glad to have found lsyncd.
    Hp Pavillion dv6-2119tx » Intel Core i7-720QM (1.60GHz) | 4GB RAM 1333 MHz | 640GB HDD (5400rpm) |
    nVIDIA GeForce GT 230M | Dual boot: PinguyOS 10.10 64bit ♡ / Windows 7 Home Premium
    Biggest Ubuntu Frustration » Decent download manager