Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed to load session "ubuntu"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question Failed to load session "ubuntu"

I just upgraded to the Natty beta and I'm getting this error message every time I try to log in.

Failed to load session "ubuntu"

I have tried using every session available: Ubuntu, Classic Ubuntu, Unity-2d, and Gnome Shell. The only one that allows me to log in is Gnome Shell, but it doesn't actually load Gnome Shell; it loads a gnome panel, but compositing/compiz doesn't work.

I'm so confused, and I have no idea how to fix this or what is causing it. I would like to be able to try out Unity, but none of the sessions work except for this false Gnome Shell session.

Any ideas?

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Failed to load session "ubuntu"

check if compiz is to be blamed: uninstall all related compiz packages from synaptic, then retry after reboot

Beans
    Distro

No luck.

I tried uninstalling them all, and the same error came for all 3 sessions; Ubuntu, Ubuntu Classic, and Unity 2d.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

• can you get to the command line? If so I would run the updates, there are a slew of them first time after you install?
    • did it appear to install correctly?
    • I am running natty 11.04-amd64-Alpha3-Desktop installed about 2 weeks ago. upon startup, I get several crashes of something tied in to Compiz, but it's able to ignore and keep going, it's getting better after each new set of updates, and there are many and often
    • If you can't get it going, I'd reinstall, HASH check? Check disc for defects?
    • Good Luck, it's a killer release so far, I LOVE it.
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans
    Distro

The install ran fine as far as I can tell... I can access the command line, but I really don't know what to do from there to fix the sessions.

Is there a way to re-run the installation other than starting from scratch?

Beans
    Distro

Well, I have no idea what caused this... but it seems to have been some kind of package dependency problem. The packages were all a mess and I ended up just uninstalling and reinstalling everything and now it's working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you reinstall the whole natty system from live cd? I'm having namely exactly the same problem and would like to solve it without resorting to reinstalling the whole system...

I guess the gnome-shell ppa is here to blame, this namely started after I added the ppa and installed gnome-shell from there... ppa-purge won't help here, already tried it.
    Last edited by aethralis; April 3rd, 2011 at 07:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I reinstalled the whole system from the net, but I'm sure the livecd would work as well. I actually reinstalled it package by package, rather than doing a fresh install.

What happened was when I loaded synaptic and looked at the package origins, nearly all of the packages were set to "locally installed" rather than automatic. So when I tried to install or uninstall anything that was linked to those packages, it failed. Thus I couldn't reinstall ubuntu-desktop, or any of the gnome packages, and so on.

I think I may have had the gnome-shell PPA enabled at some point before this problem occurred, but I can't remember now. I am not using now, and I don't think a will now that you've pointed it out.

Go into synaptic and check the packages that are locally installed. Try uninstalling all of them. Then reboot to a shell (since uninstalling them will probably get rid of synaptic and almost every other package on your system) and load aptitude from a shell, install ubuntu-desktop and let it finish all the dependencies. After I did that, I was able to get into gnome.

I still had a few residual "local" packages that didn't get properly uninstalled, but I manually purged them and reinstalled then after that, and everything works fine now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Oh lah lah, well done.
    and good plausible explanations, I likee
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Gnome 3 PPA is not recommended yet if you are not willing for your computer to be broken.

gnome-session in the PPA does not work correctly yet. It allows me to login to Gnome Shell but not Ubuntu (Unity), Ubuntu Classic or Unity 2d. To fix that I had to

1. Disable the PPA
    2. Remove gnome-session
    3. Re-install ubuntu-desktop and whatever else may have been autoremoved in step 2
    4. Re-enable the PPA and don't upgrade gnome-session. It's not necessary to have the gnome3 gnome-session to use Gnome Shell.

I'll try to post here again when the gnome3 gnome-session is working again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast