Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JMicron xD Card Reader driver Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel 2.6.35-28-generic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: JMicron xD Card Reader driver Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel 2.6.35-28-generic

Try to boot with SD or xD card inserted in card reader. And after boot check in nautilus. If it will see the card then problem will be just with detection.

Beans

The card is detected if inserted before boot, and if the card is removed and reinserted, it is unmounted and mounted again. How can this be solved? I can't keep the card in the reader or reboot my laptop every time I want to use the card reader...

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: JMicron xD Card Reader driver Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel 2.6.35-28-generic

Quote Originally Posted by ispmarin View Post
    The card is detected if inserted before boot, and if the card is removed and reinserted, it is unmounted and mounted again. How can this be solved? I can't keep the card in the reader or reboot my laptop every time I want to use the card reader...
    Try to add “modprobe pciehp” to /etc/rc.local and then reboot.

If this will not help you can leave any card or card adapter in card reader.

Beans

Thanks, I'll try that as soon I can reboot my laptop.

If this doesn't work I'll be in trouble, as I said - this is a laptop that I carry around, so a card sticking out is not convenient or safe. Should I report a bug against the kernel?

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: JMicron xD Card Reader driver Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel 2.6.35-28-generic

Quote Originally Posted by ispmarin View Post
    If this doesn't work I'll be in trouble, as I said - this is a laptop that I carry around, so a card sticking out is not convenient or safe. Should I report a bug against the kernel?
    I think it's not a kernel bug, cause driver is loaded and work, it's just a recognition problem. Also SD card support is built-in kernel. So this driver just add xD and MMC support.

Beans

Hello. I am a Linux noobe. I followed the directions of the first post and it appears that all of the modules are installed. lsmod gives:

Module Size Used by
    jmb38x_xd 7942 0
    xd_card 29442 1 jmb38x_xd
    flash_bd 8827 1 xd_card
    mspro_block 28113 0
    jmb38x_ms 11553 0
    memstick 9393 2 mspro_block,jmb38x_ms

I am using ubuntu 10.10 uname -r gives:
    2.6.35-28-generic

Now what do I do? I was hoping to see something in /dev or /media. I have an SD card adapter that has a 4GB SDHC micro SD card in it. I also tried using a 1GB SD micro SD card. How do I access the micro SD card? lspci doesn't give anything to do with the JMB38x. Ubuntu is running as virtual box VM. The main OS (Windows 7) see the JMicron card reader fine.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MangeAnanas View Post
    Now what do I do? I was hoping to see something in /dev or /media. I have an SD card adapter that has a 4GB SDHC micro SD card in it. I also tried using a 1GB SD micro SD card. How do I access the micro SD card? lspci doesn't give anything to do with the JMB38x. Ubuntu is running as virtual box VM. The main OS (Windows 7) see the JMicron card reader fine.
    Try to load Ubuntu with inserted SD card, and then check in File browser. If it will not be avaliable, then it can be some VM issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon444 View Post
    Try to load Ubuntu with inserted SD card, and then check in File browser. If it will not be avaliable, then it can be some VM issue.
    Thanks. It was the VM. I started Ubuntu live CD and put in an SD card an the file browser popped up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: JMicron xD Card Reader driver Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel 2.6.35-28-generic

Incase anyone else gets a similar error when they run make install to this:
    Code:
    requires -E or -F flag...
    and the install hangs until you hit a keypress, all you need to do is edit the Makefile with your favourite editor by finding the
    Code:
            /sbin/depmod -ae
    and remove the "e" flag as so:
    Code:
            /sbin/depmod -a
    and the install should work nicely.
    Install was conducted on 10.04 with the 2.6.32-33-generic kernel

after all that I simply rebooted with the card in the slot and after that it would auto-mount when I plugged it in at any time.
    Thanks for the life-saving post
    Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Big thanks Ramon444! everything worked for me by following post number 10. I have ubuntu 11.10 on a dell XPS 15z

cheers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast