Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: JMicron xD Card Reader driver Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel 2.6.35-28-generic

Beans

Re: JMicron xD Card Reader driver Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel 2.6.35-28-generic

Hi folks,

it seems there are some issues with the newer kernel sources. I have googled a bit and fix an original jmb38x driver that I have found on a blog support page.
    After building and running the l.sh script my xD card was automated mounted instantly.

I have added a Changelog with the thinks I have fixed.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Marfy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!

Marfly,

I compiled, installed then ran l.sh. During compilation I got the depmod error mentioned here but ignored it - figured you knew about it as you didn't fix it in your updated script. Rebooted and still no working SD Card.

I confirmed that /etc/rc.local contains:
    modprobe jmb38x_ms
    modprobe mspro_block
    modprobe flash_bd
    modprobe xd_card
    modprobe jmb38x_xd
    and ls /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/jmb38x/ shows all the relevant .ko files.

Running 12.04 64-bit.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi all,
    I've done everything since post #10! Also took all the other steps mentioned above and still no love.

Running stand-alone 12.04 Precise LTS 64bit with latest kernel 3.2.0-27. This is a laptop I bought in Feb this year. It is a Dell XPS 15z.

I take lots of pic's, and would like to be able to use the cardreader without having to reboot in order to see it. (With my SSD drive, and about a 12 second boot time, I'm just being picky picky picky!) Yes, if I boot with it inserted, when Ubuntu logs in (whew, a whole 12 seconds later!) there it is! The laptop came with a plastic fake insert that I've since misplaced. I have a feeling that if I find that little bugger and reboot with it inserted (the little fake plastic piece that is) this will all be moot. I'll bet it will then auto mount my sd card! I'll let you all know if and when I find it.

I've been perusing the forums and some other not so tasty linux sites, and the Ubuntu Forums community is, hands down, the most helpful anywhere!

Anyway, long story short (hehe) I'm basically same as Flynsarmy. Any help appreciated...

Jed
    | [I]Running 'VSIDO' | My blog |

Beans
    Hidden!

Red face Re: JMicron xD Card Reader driver Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel 2.6.35-28-generic

O.K., so I found the plastic insert that goes into the SD slot when it is not being used. Didn't make any difference. Still have to re-boot to get it to see a card...

Jed
    | [I]Running 'VSIDO' | My blog |

Beans

The solution no longer works for Ubuntu 12.04, kernel version 3.2.0.29.

Beans

Smile Re: JMicron xD Card Reader driver Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel 2.6.35-28-generic

Last edited by chrizzler; August 29th, 2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: not solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just found a Gentoo forum thread with a tip that worked for me. After issuing this command as root the JMicron multimedia card reader is automagically detected, and automounts inserted cards:

Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
    Hope it works for you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by apienk01 View Post
    After issuing this command as root the JMicron multimedia card reader is automagically detected, and automounts inserted cards:

Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
    Doesn't work on 12.04 64-bit 3.2.0-31-generic. Attempted both using the command with an SD insert and with the slot empty then plugging one in. No detection in either case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Flynsarmy View Post
    Doesn't work on 12.04 64-bit 3.2.0-31-generic. Attempted both using the command with an SD insert and with the slot empty then plugging one in. No detection in either case.
    I'm using 3.2.0-32-generic 64-bit on Dell XPS L502x, and after forced rescan detection works either with the card or without. However, before I found this workaround I mailed JMicron, and today got a new driver. Here it is, attached. Didn't try compiling it because I'm pretty happy activating the reader with the command.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by apienk01; October 4th, 2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: didn't try it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by apienk01 View Post
    I'm using 3.2.0-32-generic 64-bit on Dell XPS L502x, and after forced rescan detection works either with the card or without. However, before I found this workaround I mailed JMicron, and today got a new driver. Here it is, attached. Didn't try compiling it because I'm pretty happy activating the reader with the command.
    I tested on Kubuntu 12.04 LTS with 3.2.0-39-generic.
    I followed the instructions in the readme file.
    The driver works fine, just giving me errors on the mspro driver (I just commented it on /etc/rc.local):

Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    # value on error.
    #
    # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
    # bits.
    #
    # By default this script does nothing.

#exit 0
    # remove modules in initramfs 
    rmmod jmb38x_ms
    #rmmod mspro_block
    rmmod flash_bd
    rmmod xd_card
    rmmod jmb38x_xd
    modprobe jmb38x_ms
    #modprobe mspro_block
    modprobe flash_bd
    modprobe xd_card
    modprobe jmb38x_xd

Automounting working fine.

Additionally, I was not able to compile the patch: it's throwing source code errors. As the driver is working fine, fine by now.
    Last edited by raelgc; April 8th, 2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast